Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Ethan Haslam

Abraham Lincoln is one of the greatest Presidents and heroes in American history. He is a hero because he was courageous and determined enough to rise from humble beginnings as a farmer to become the most powerful man in the country. He was honest and generous, even inviting his rivals in the presidential campaign to be in his cabinet. He fought to keep the country together and expressed his generosity by allowing the defeated Confederacy to keep all their weapons and land. Finally, it was he who wrote the Emancipation Proclamation that freed all the slaves in the South. As can be seen with Lincoln, the sign of a hero is his heroic characteristics and his ability to fight through misfortune and achieve a greater destiny.

Martin Luther King, Jr. is another hero and, in my opinion, one worthy of as much respect as Lincoln. King was unswerving, selfless, and devoted to a cause greater than himself. He continued Lincoln's quest to free African-Americans by protesting against segregation and bringing awareness of racism to the American government. Abraham Lincoln wrote all of his speeches himself and was a convincing speaker. Martin Luther King was also a gifted speaker and his "I have a dream.." speech inspired millions to stand up against racism and cruelty in the world. King also had humble beginnings before he was a hero. He was a simple minister who took a stand against segregation of his own free will. Without him, the civil rights movement would not have had as much success.

Abraham Lincoln inspired people by showing that anyone, no matter how humble, can achieve greatness. He showed people that the best advice often comes from those who disagree with you. Martin Luther King, Jr. inspired people to fight for equality in America for people of all races and he showed them that nonviolent protest has just as much, if not more, impact than violence. For example, there was a civil-rights activist called Malcolm X who supported violence as a means to achieve equality. But the violence caused by Malcom X's supporters only gave white people a reason to oppress African-Americans out of fear. Both King and Lincoln were assassinated before their goals could come to fruition but their deaths only served to further their legends as the men that brought so much to America. Lincoln and King had qualities that everyone can admire and learn from. It's important to be honest and generous even to your enemies, like Abraham Lincoln was. It's also important to be courageous and stay devoted through all hardships, like Martin Luther King.

Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King, Jr. are people that exemplified heroism, all because of their great characteristics. Anyone can be a hero to someone by adopting the qualities of these men. Heroes are the people that made this country what it is, that led it through hard times and showed it how to make the world a better place. In this time of turmoil with multiple wars and a failing economy, a hero is just what we need to inspire us and show us how to be great again. I myself have been inspired by the actions of Martin Luther King. He and his followers continued with their peaceful protest even in the face of such violence and hate. I've often tried to settle things by compromising peacefully, but I've become increasingly frustrated by the opposing party's unwillingness to compromise. But thinking that King was able to win equality through perseverance helps me to persist. To many, Barack Obama is this hero we need. And Obama has a hero none other than Abraham Lincoln. And it was Lincoln's and King's heroic characteristics, perseverance, and belief in what was right that made them heroes that still inspire people today.