Malala Yousafzai

by Joanna from San Diego

(http://www.google.com/imgres?q=malala+yousafzai&nu (Eternal Vigilance))

Malala Yousafzai Oct. 9, 2012. 2 Taliban soldiers boarded a bus and demanded to know who Malala Yousazfai was. No answer was given, but in the corner of the bus a girl was confounded with fear; her facial expression a combination of fear and hatred. Without hesitation, the Taliban soldiers shot her in the head and fled the scene. Who would have guessed that Malala Yousafzai almost died protecting her right, and other girls' rights, to an education. "Pakistani schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai was an eager student, never without a stack of books nearby" ("Malala Yousafzai" gale). Every day she attended a nearby school and read books even after the Taliban outlawed education for girls. Because of her defiance and bravery, Yousafzai soon became a symbol of hope for many women and girls across Pakistan. One day Yousafzai was invited by BBC to express her thoughts about education incognito on a blog they created. She posted everything she encountered in one day on her blog. However, Yousafzai also utilized her blog as a tool to retaliate against the Taliban and their tyrannical rule over Pakistan. She, "often blogged anonymously about her desire to go to school without fear in a part of the country where the Taliban had once imposed strict Shari' a law."(Chua-Eon, Howard). Yousafzai defied the Taliban's rules and evaded the stereotype that girls and women in Pakistan were only meant to raise family. Getting education, to her, was a one chance thing. Family would always be waiting at the door for her, but education could have slipped out of her hands at any minute. Malala Yousafzai is only 15, but with her dogged determination, caring ways, and bravery; she has managed to alter the Taliban's laws against education and revolutionize Pakistan's view on school.

Malala recovering after being shot in the head (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/dec/03/person (The Guardian))

The Taliban has already destroyed and outlawed many schools, but Yousafzai defied the Taliban's rule and continued to receive an education. Many girls in the Swat Valley did not get the same educational freedom as boys. Yousafzai, however, took a stand against the Taliban and spoke out for her education. "I shall raise my voice....if I didn't do it, who would?" ("Malala Yousafzai" Foreign Policy). Yousafzai, despite many death threats from the Taliban, decided that the Taliban didn't have a say in what she was allowed and not allowed to do. In order to make a statement that girls should be granted the right to an education, Yousafzai defied the Taliban and started going to school. She eagerly rushed to school every day, hiding, "her schoolbooks under her shawl and... reading even after the Taliban outlawed school for girls." (Taseer, Sherbano). Yousafzai intended on defying Taliban Law so every girl could get the right of education. She used only her weapons of knowledge to retaliate and overthrow the Taliban's rule on education. Yousafzai bravely defied the Taliban to not only ensure a bright and educated future for herself, but also for every girl in Swat Valley.

(http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2 (The Atlantic))

The danger around Yousafzai has never hindered her from her goal. She puts her bravery above her fear so she can obtain her right of education. She was recognized for, "Her own bravery in speaking out for the simple idea that girls should have access to the same education as boys." ("Malala Yousafzai" Foreign Policy). Yousafzai is not afraid of expressing her opinions and standing up for what she believes in. She continues thwarting the Taliban's ban on education, even though she knows they could arrest or kill her at any moment. Because of all the hard and courageous work that Yousafzai has done, she was awarded, "for her bravery in exposing the difficulties of living in the oppressive shadow of the Taliban." (World Malala Yousafzai). Yousafzai knows that she puts herself in a perilous state when she talks about a touchy subject like the Taliban's laws; however, she was willing to put her fears aside and fight for her and other girls' educational rights. She often risks her life to make sure that every girl in her country would receive education. Yousafzai's bravery has shone through as a strong trait when she not only cared for her own education, but for many other unprivileged girls to.

(http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2012/10/1 (USA Today))

With her caring ways and her kind heart, Yousafzai has been able to accord an education to the girls who are in need of one. She even organized, ".the Malala Education Foundation, a fund to ensure poor girls from Swat could go to school." (Taseer, Sherbano). Yousafzai has dreamed of a Pakistan where education is abundant. She makes sure that not only herself but every girl in her country will be guaranteed a bright future and a good education. By setting up this foundation, she knows that she will be helping every Pakistani girl reach her their dream. Yousafzai has already given education and opportunities to many uneducated women and girls in her neighborhood. She even stated that she was, "committed to giving women and girls the same opportunities as men and boys despite threats," (World Malala Yousafzai). Yousafzai does not care about the death threats she receives, but cares more about girks in Pakistan getting an education. She and her father have even rebuilt some schools that the Taliban destroyed. This way more and more people can get back on track to a bright future. Yousafzai has already done so much to try and furnish everyone with the right education. She hopes that she can do even more to ensure a bright future for all in Pakistan.

"I've Dreamt of a country where education would prevail," (Malala Yousafzai). After everything she's done for education, it seems the Taliban has run out of ideas to stop Malala Yousafzai from letting education prevail. She has inspired many girls to take action for their education, and to go for what they want, not what the Taliban wants them to do. "Armed only with her convictions and the firm support of her father. she refused to be silenced."("Malala Yousafzai" Foreign Policy). Yousafzai's work and sacrifice has touched many people's hearts and inspired many people to make a difference. She is willing to put her own life on the line to ensure a better future for many girls in Pakistan. This is what makes Yousafzai such an inspiration and such a great hero. She doesn't necessarily care about her well-being, but rather the well-being of others. She works hard at her goals and puts herself in danger just to reach the Pakistan she's been dreaming of. Yousafzai fights not only for herself, but for her whole country. She does not care for what others think of her, but rather cares for the needs of others. A true hero puts others before themselves, and works hard to win their battle. A true hero possessing defiance, a caring heart, and bravery; Malala Yousafzai has shed abundant light into the world of education for Pakistan.

"Diary of a Pakistani Schoolgirl." BBC News. BBC, 19 Jan. 2009. Web. 10 Dec. 2012. .

"Malala Yousafzai." Foreign Policy 197 (2012): 38-39. Academic Search Premier. Web. 10 Dec. 2012.

Taseer, Shehrbano. "The Girl Who Changed Pakistan." Newsweek 29 Oct. 2012: 38.Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 10 Dec. 2012.

"Malala Yousafzai." Gale Biography in Context. Detroit: Gale, 2012. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 10 Dec. 2012.

"The Malala Yousafzai Saga: Like Father, Like Daughter." World The Malala Yousafzai Saga Like Father Like Daughter Comments. N.p., 17 Oct. 2012. Web. 10 Dec. 2012. .

World Malala Yousafzai The Latest Victim in the War on Children in Pakistan Comments. N.p., 09 Oct. 2012. Web. 10 Dec. 2012.