Malala Yousafzai

by Rachael from Calgary

"Let us remember: one book, one pen, one child and one teacher can change the world" -Malala Yousafzai
Malala Yousafzai Web (I made it, Rachael)

My book is called I am Malala, I chose this book because this girl stood up to the Taliban. Even though they threatened her she didn't back down. This is an autobiography but she was helped by Patricia McCormick . This book is 276 pages long and cover's about 15 years of her life. Malala believes that every girl should be able to go to school and she never stopped believing.When she was growing up she wanted to be a doctor, but then decided she wanted to become a politician now she has changed the world. This book was published on October 8th 2013.

Portrait (I made it (me))
Portrait (I made it (me))

My Hero is Malala Yousafzai. She was born and raised in Mingora,Pakistan. She has two younger brother's Khushal and Atal, and her parents are Ziauddin and Toor Pekai. Her father Ziauddin teaches a girls school in Mingora which Malala goes to. Malala earned 1st for her intelligence almost every year and was a very hard worker. She was very interested in school and originally wanted to be a doctor. She would always bring her books home and study them for hours. Malala and her brother's would always play cricket in their backyard, it was one of their favourite games. Malala was very inspired by her Dad, he was very brave. When she would have people over she would always listen to the men talking about politics, she found this very interesting. When she was younger she would scare her sibling's because she was double jointed. Malala was always jealous of her brother's because every boy got to go to school and only about half the girls could go. Malala believed that every girl should have the right to go to school, so that is why Malala Yousafzai changed the world.

Action (I made it (Rachael))
Action (I made it (Rachael))

Sadly there are a couple of challenges Malala has faced in her life. Fazlullah, a radio host from her home town threatened to hurt Malala and many other's. Women have to wear clothes that cover their face and when they walk down the street they have to be accompanied by a man related to them, if they are seen without one of those thing's they will be hurt by the Taliban. They have also bombed girls schools and many girls have not been able to leave their home. Malala stood up to the Taliban, she spoke to the people of Mingora about how they can defeat the Taliban. Even though they have threatened her, she was always brave and stayed true to herself. Her father inspired her to help people and when she was down. Ziauddin would always lift her back up again. Sadly one sunny day when Malala was on the bus with her school friends, a man jumped up on the bus and asked for Malala Yousafzai. The driver pointed to Malala and shot her in the head. Malala was sent to England, Birmingham, and was there for a while recovering. Happily Malala survived, her parents came to visit her and helped her through it. Malala is an intelligent, dedicated and kind girl. Which is the reason why she has won the Nobel Peace Prize and changed the world.

I look up to Malala a lot she is very inspiring. One day I would like to change the world just like her. If I were to meet Malala I would ask her how she could work up the courage to do what she has done, what are you going to do now and how are you feeling. I would and I wouldn't want to be her daughter because I would be very proud of her but very scared for her. I thought this book was very interesting and I would recommend it for girls my age. I learned that you should not give up and keep standing tall. I also like playing in the backyard with my brother and helping other's but one day I would like to make a bigger impact. Other's may not like the book because they have different opinions but it is very inspiring and made me stronger. I am happy I chose this book because it made me happy that someone can really change the world. I would consider Malala a hero that is very brave and I hope other's can help the world too.

Biography.com - Malala's life as a girl
vanityfair.com - Her life as an activist
theguardian.com - Nobel Peace Prize
dailymail.co.uk - Pictures and her Dreams
wikipedia.org - The Full Story