Malala Yousafzai

by Khadija from San Diego

Almost everyone in United States goes to school through 12th grade but in Pakistan they are only required to go to school until 5th grade. Girls in Pakistan are not expected to be educated because they are expected to get married by age 18 and take care of their family. Because education for women is not valued, only thirteen percent of women can read. My hero wants more than that in her life. Malala is a 15 year old girl from Swat Valley in Pakistan. At age 12, she started to blog about her thoughts that the Taliban was coming to her village, and that they would soon ban schools for girls. She was very upset and worried about her education and future. In the society Malala was living in girls were not allowed to go to school and most fathers didn't let their daughters go to school. Malala's father let his daughter not only go to school and be educated, but he also wanted her to demand her rights. An Islamic militant decided to ban the girl's school where she lived and during those times Malala started to blog about Taliban coming to her home town. In October 9, members of Taliban stopped her school bus and shot her. Doctors took her to London for emergency care. She became the worldwide symbol for women's education rights. She also won the noble peace price. (Neal). She wrote a book this year called "I am Malala" about women's education. ("Malala Yousafzai." Foreign). She is attending High School in London. (Clinton). November 10 is honored as Malala's Day. ("Malala Yousafzai." Foreign). A hero must have the quality of being brave. Bravery means a person who can face difficulties, danger and pain without giving up. A hero also needs confidence to be able to do things well. An inspiring hero means that they should have the ability to do something creative.  Therefore, Malala Yousafzai is a brave, confident, and inspiring young women. She is changing how women are viewed in Pakistan; she is a true hero.

Malala Yousafzai is a young brave hero who is changing how women are viewed in Pakistan. One of the articles in Foreign Policy mentioned how difficult times Malala Yousafzai had which lead to "Her own bravery in speaking out for the simple idea that girls should have access to the same education as boys" (6 Malala Yousafzai). By "speaking out" in a country where women are not allowed to speak, Malala took the chance of being killed. Even though she knew she might get killed by going to school that day, she went anyway. Then the Taliban opened fire and shot Malala and two other girls. In the Time Magazine 100 influence people edition Chelsea Clinton quotes Malala as she says strongly. "They cannot stop me," a defiant Malala proclaimed at the time. "I will get my education, if it is in home, school or any place"(Clinton, Chelsea). Even though some members of the Taliban came on her bus and shot her in the head, she was still hopeful about continuing her education. She faced difficult times and did not quit speaking out. She is not scared of the Taliban or anyone; she still continues her education which makes her a young, brave girl. Malala stands up in the society where women are not allowed to speak in public, but Malala did speak about everyone's right to be educated. She strongly believes that she has the right to go to school and no one can stop her. Even though she is only 15 years old living in a remote village called Mingora, Pakistan, Malala took a huge chance to encourage other girls to stay in school.

Malala Yousafzai is a confident young woman who is changing the rights of women in Pakistan. In the article on Foreign Policy Malala was quoted as saying, "I shall raise my voice". Last year, she said. "If I didn't do it, who would?" (6 Malala Yousafzai). When Taliban said that they will be going to ban the schools, she still went to school. Even when she got shot she didn't quit, but continued her education and wrote a book. The people who helped her write the book think she is a confident girl. Even though she got shot she recovered and she is going to school in England. Soon her book will be published which is about women's education rights. In society where most men don't let their daughter to go school, Malala's father, Ziauddin Yousafzai, gave her that confidence to go to school and demand equality. He ran a girl's school and encouraged everyone to go to school even though Islamic militants banned it. In the Time Magazine, Malala speaks about her life after the shooting at her new school. At Edgbaston High School for Girls, she must wear a green school uniform and still wears a scarf.  Wearing the uniform makes her proud, says Malala, now 15, "Because it proves that I am a student and that I am living my life and learning. I want all girls in the world to have this basic opportunity (Clinton, Chelsea). Because of Malala's courage, they may. Her life turned into a really bad tragedy. But now, she is continuing her education in the UK where she has more freedom to speak out without being afraid. This shows that she has much confidence because she suffered a lot in her life. She achieved her goal of continuing her education. She can freely read, speak and learn about anything she wants. She got her rights, now she wants others to get their basic rights too. Without the confidence Malala showed she probably would never have been able to get back to school.

Malala Yousafzai is a true hero because she is a brave, confident and inspiring young woman who is changing how women are viewed in Pakistan. In the society where women are not allowed to stand up and speak but a 15 year old girl Malala had the confidence to take a risk and stand up and speak to the public about her rights and about other  women's rights too. She didn't think about being a symbol or anything like that. The only thing she wanted was an education, even if it was at home, or at school or anywhere. Malala inspires me because I have also lived in that kind of society. She stands up in the society where women are not allowed to speak for their rights, but Malala did stand up and fought for all women's right for equality. Like Malala there are many girls who are experiencing the same thing, even today. Every girl has rights for education and they shouldn't be stopped by anybody.

Works Consulted

Clinton, Chelsea. "Malala Yousafzai: A Symbol of Courage and Conviction." Time 29 Apr. 2013: 140. Web

Fazl-E-Haider, Syed. "Malala versus extremism: not Taliban, but Talibanization." Harvard International   Review 34.4 (2013): 73+. Academic One File. Web. 6 May 2013.

Foreign Policy 197 (2012): 38+. Global Issues In Context. Web. 7 May 2013.

"'I Want to Tell My Story': Malala Yousafzai Memoir to Be Published This Fall." NBC News. N.P., n.d. Web. 06 May 2013.

"Malala Yousafzai." Foreign Policy 197 (2012): 38. Points of View Reference Center. Web. 7 May 2013.

"Malala Yousafzai: for standing up to the Taliban, and everything they represent."

"Malala Yousafzai." Gale Biography in Context. Detroit: Gale, 2012. Biography In Context. Web. 2 May 2013.

"Malala Sends Help to the Girls Back Home." The Times 6 Apr. 2013: 13. Web.

Neal, Conan. "Malala: How A Young Girl Became A World Symbol." Talk Of The Nation (NPR) (2013): Newspaper Source. Web. 7 May 2013.