Malala Yousafzai

by Erin from Elgin

Whether you live in the most poverty-stricken and dangerous country, or the safest and wealthiest country in the world, education is important to us all. Sadly, not all of us are granted the right to an education, and therefore a better future. My hero comes in the form of all the girls in the Middle East who are attempting to go to school, specifically Malala Yousafzai, and are being persecuted for it. They are all my heroes because of their acts of bravery in the tough times that they are going through in their countries. Their courage and willingness to pursue an education despite their less-than-optimal conditions and restrictions make them amazing, in my opinion.

Malala began her career in the defense of education in 2009, at the age of 11. She wrote a blog for the BBC under a pseudonym that detailed her life under the harsh Taliban rule. Because of this, she was nominated for a Children's Nobel Peace Prize. The effects of her activist work at an early age were not all positive, however, as this speaking out put her on the Taliban's radar. This factor came into play in October of 2012, when she was shot by a Taliban gunman. As a result of this, she was in a coma for several weeks before eventually coming out of it. When she awoke, it was not to comforting news. The Taliban had placed death threats on her and her father, because of their activism on women's education. She then had to be evacuated to England for her safety.

I believe the traits that make Malala the hero she is today are not the characteristics that came out during her shooting, but the traits that came out of it. Malala has no anger towards the gunman who shot her, and that aspect of forgiveness about her is astounding. Furthermore, Malala's work ethic, peaceful nature, intelligence, and bravery combined make one of the most amazing individuals the world has seen. Her work with the education system in the Middle East has made such an immense impact that her name has become a household name, and she still does not let that level of fame get to her.

Malala has had a personal impact on me in many ways. Both her admirable work ethic and peaceful nature have influenced the way I live my everyday life in a positive way. Aside from this, the fact that she has accomplished so much at such a young age (Including winning the Nobel Peace Prize and publishing a book before age 18!) has made me want to become a better person myself. The fact that schooling is so difficult to get as a girl in the Middle East has also made me think more in depth about all the things I take for granted in my life. Malala is truly an amazing example that has been set for the generations to come.

The situation in the Middle East is extremely unfavorable for women trying to get an education. The impact that Malala has had in this field is incredible for someone of her age. The message she spreads can be applied to people of all genders, races, and nationalities from across the world. She spreads the message that education is important, and should not be taken for granted. Her courage to stand up for what she believes in is a wonderful example to the children of the coming generation, and should not be taken lightly. Malala's message and work have impacted this world in such a way that I do not think we can forget her.