Malala

by Erin from Geneva, Illinois

Malala Yousafzai spoke out to the world for girl's education. She believed that girls should be able to go to school. Many people disagreed for girls to go to school. Some even so disagreed they decided to shoot her. Malala is an amazing hero for standing up for what she believed.

Malala was born on July, 12, 1997 she grew up with her mom, dad, and her two younger brothers. Malala also grew up with two chickens as her pets. Malala started speaking about education in 2008 (inspired by her dad taking her to speak out to the world). Malala spoke "how dare Taliban take away my right of basic education." The Taliban people disagreed.

Malala was going back from school one day on October 9th 2012 when people got on the bus with her. They asked "who is Malala? Speak, otherwise I will shoot you all." Malala did not speak and they shot three bullets at her. One bullet hit her on the left side of her forehead and went down to the neck and through the shoulder and two other people were shot. Her friend spoke after she saw her get shot. "I saw the blood and I fell unconscious."

Malala then was taken to the hospital. There was no spinal damage, just a little ear drum damage. Malala's skull was replaced with a titanium plate. She was out of the hospital and the Taliban people threatened to shoot her again. After seven days after the shot Malala woke up not knowing where she was or what happened. Her friend had explained how she got shot. After a few weeks Malala was out of the hospital.

Malala is now living in U.K. with her mom, dad, and her two younger brothers. She is recovered with no severe injuries. Her surgery was 72 hours to get the plate in her skull to replace the half that is missing. Malala is an amazing survivor! I think Malala is heroic because she fought for the right of girl's education. She believed that having boys go to school and not girls wasn't fair. She stood up and was being herself never giving up. Malala made a big difference in the world. She showed people that you can reach your goals. Now that you know how amazing and heroic Malala is, would you call her a hero? What would be your first reaction be if you saw her? What is one quality that makes her a hero?