Malala

by Paige from Geneva

Malala Yousafzai is a 16 year old girl who has changed the world. She has fought for the right for girls to go to school. And people shot her because of that. Malala is strong for what she believes in. Malala might be just a girl but she is leading people for the right to go to school.

Malala was born on July 12, 1997. She wants to follow her dad's footsteps and grow up to be a doctor. Malala got a Nobel Peace Award on Friday, October 12, 2013. President Barack Obama and the First Lady wanted to meet with Malala to talk about her experience last Friday.

On October 9, 2012 Malala was on the bus coming home from school, all the girls were singing lots of songs. When  two Taliban guys stopped the bus driver and asked, "Who is Malala". The men ran to the back of the bus with a gun and the guy said "Who is Malala". When she heard them say her name she knew she was in trouble. Malala turned her head. The sky went dark. They had shot her.

The bullet hit right above her left eye on the forehead. When the bullet hit her it traveled into her neck, then through her shoulder. When they were ready to operate on her, to the time they were done, it took about seventy-two hours. They had to take Malala all around the world to different hospitals. The final hospital she went to was in New England, the surgeon had replaced her skull with a metal plate called titanium.

October 16th, seven days after she got shot. She saw all these doctors and nurses that were speaking English, but they looked like they were from different countries. Malala tried to talk to them but she had a tube in her neck to try and help her breath. Her left eye was really blurry, she thought a doctor had four noses and a nurse had four eyes. When Malala woke up she had lots of questions like where am I? Who brought me here? Where are my parents? Knock Knock Dr. Fiona came in to give Malala a big white teddy bear to make her feel better. The next day Malala was in a green room and no windows. She was in a care cubical at Queen Elisabeth hospital. I think Malala is a hero because she is fighting for what she believes in. I think Malala is strong, courageous; she has all of the hope in her to go to school. Pital.