My Mom

by Gianna Dicintio

The one person who comes to mind when I think of a true Lincoln-like hero is my mother. She has many ways of showing her heroism to people.

Abraham Lincoln was a person of honesty. He would never tell a lie; even if his life depended on it he still would tell the truth. People looked up to Mr. Lincoln because of this quality in him. They admired how he was so truthful all the time. People need to have this characteristic to be looked up to as a hero because nobody would want a liar as their role model. My mother shows this characteristic of being truthful all the time. When she would find money just lying there in the middle of an isle in a store she would not take it for herself she would pick it up and look for the person who dropped it or at least take it to the front desk in the store.

One of the great qualities that Abe had was perseverance. When faced with the Civil Way Abe did not once show signs of wanting to back down and because of this he won that war with pride. People need this quality in order to be considered a hero because others would look to you and see you still believing in what is right and they will be astounded by your heroism and come back you up. My mother reveals this characteristic in her every time she faces a problem by not backing down until an adequate solution is found. She is a great problem solver, which I admire very much. Even though she doesn't go out and win huge battles, she manages all the little things that could affect this family. She would fight those battles for our family and that's why I think of her as my hero.

One other characteristic people knew Abe Lincoln for was his calling for being a hard worker. He worked so hard that he became the president of the United States. Others would need to have this quality in them in order for them to be a hero to someone because if people see you not taking action and just sitting there doing nothing about a problem they will not look to you for guidance. My mom has also been known to be very hard working when she does any activity. She works very hard to make sure that every person in this family is happy and content. She cooks, cleans and does all that hard stuff for our sake. She even works hard to make sure we have what is needed to make ends meet for that week.

Another characteristic that Mr. Lincoln and my mother share is protectiveness. She always wants to know where I am, what I'm doing, when I am doing the activity, and who I'm going to go out with at that time. She always reminds me to put my seat belt on when we get into the car. The way that Lincoln showed this characteristic was slightly different. He was the one who protected everyone and anyone from harm's way. People need this trait to be considered someone's hero because when people cry to you for help and you just turn your back on them they will never seek to you for leadership ever again nor will anyone else.

My mom does what she can to protect her family and I'm grateful for it. It is because of these traits in her that the people who meet her always want to come back and see her again because she is such a fantastic person to know. There is a hero is everyone they just have to let it out and see what becomes of it just like Lincoln and my mother did.