Nellie McClung

by Christina from Alberta

<a href=http://www.mts.net/~agrifame/mcclung.jpg>Nellie McClung</a>
Nellie McClung

First of all I would like to tell you about my hero, Nellie McClung. She is my hero because she is very inspiring. She inspires me to persevere and stand up for what I believe in, regardless of what other people might say. I also really believe in what she fought for, which is women's right to vote. These are some of the reasons why Nellie McClung is my hero.

<a href=http://www.heroines.ca/graphics/mcclungjessop.jpg>Nellie</a>
Nellie

I would like to start by telling you about Nellie McClung's earlier years. Nellie was born in 1873 in Chatsworth, Ontario, the youngest of five children. She didn't start school until she was ten years old, but by the time she was sixteen, she had a teaching degree. When she married Robert Wesley McClung at twenty-three, she stopped teaching. She had five children with "Wes," and lived a fairly traditional life at this time. I have just told you about Nellie McClung in her earlier years.

I would like to now speak about some interesting facts about Nellie McClung. She was a member of the Women's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) for over thirty years. She also joined the Winnipeg Political Equality League and the Women's Press Club. Nellie wrote her first book in 1908 called "Sowing Seeds in Danny," which was looked on as a humorous look on the lives of women in her community. This book was published the same year that the "Famous Five" was established. Nellie was an important member of the group of women who fought so hard for women's right to vote. I have just told you about some interesting facts about Nellie McClung.

I will now tell you something about Nellie McClung's later years. She wrote many books in her lifetime. Her first book sold over 100,000 copies, which was very good for an unknown author at the time, but as she became more well-known for her suffragette work, the numbers grew dramatically. Nellie worked tirelessly to win the right to vote for all women. After she had accomplished her goal in Manitoba, she moved to Alberta to do the same, and then on to all the other provinces until all of Canada's women had the right to vote. This was the goal that she had strived to achieve all of her life. I have now told you about Nellie McClung's later years.

<a href=http://www.mta.ca/faculty/arts/canadian_studies/english/about/study_guide/graphics/women/nellie_mcclung.jpg>Nellie</a>
Nellie

I will finish by telling you why Nellie McClung is my hero. I chose her because she is really perseverant. She kept going, kept fighting for what she believed in. Nellie wrote this quote "I want to leave something behind when I go; some small legacy of truth that will shine in a dark place," which was also very inspiring. The main reason why Nellie McClung is my hero is because she fought for all women in Canada, and when you think about it, that is really selfless. These are most of the reasons why Nellie McClung is my hero.

Nellie McClung - Manitoba Agricultural Hall of Fame
MY HERO story on Nellie McClung - by Sheri from Yorkton