Nelson Mandela

by Ralis from San Diego

(http://images.google.com/imgres?q=nelson+mandela+f ())

A Beacon of Hope

Nelson Mandela once said, "It always seems impossible until it's done." This is exactly what Mandela had accomplished, the impossible. Resistance leader, Nelson Mandela, was born in Umtata, South Africa on July 18, 1918. He was engaged in resistance against the ruling National Party's apartheid policies after 1948. He was the leader of an underground political movement called the African National Congress (ANC). Through all of this, he emerged to become the first president of a black-majority-ruled South Africa and a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize. "Mandela was inculcated with a tremendous sense of responsibility to his family and community, reflected in some of his childhood duties such as plowing land, herding cattle, and tending sheep" (Williams, Michael W). Nelson Mandela is a hero for many reasons, but in order to be a hero, you must be able to put other people's needs beyond your own, they must fight for what they believe is right, and they have to show leadership. In a prison for 27 years, Nelson Mandela continued to remain a beacon of hope for South African segregated blacks. Including courage and strength, Mandela endured and peacefully fought the South African government to vanquish apartheid.

Nelson Mandela was courageous because he was an activist against apartheid in South Africa. His courage is what separated him from the other blacks by taking a stand and being a role-model. According to Jeff Trussell's essay, it is stated that "Instead of bowing down to this unjust system of government, he became a lifelong warrior in the battle to free South Africa" (Trussell, Jeff). This shows his courage because he saw something unjust and was dedicated to fix it. Mandela devoted his life towards a battle that would be more than difficult to succeed in, but held a strong to fight for the rights of his people. In addition to his lifelong battle to terminate apartheid, he led his country in a peaceful matter. "Unlike the young leaders with whom he grew up, Mandela was ready to try every possible technique to destroy apartheid peacefully, though he, too, realized the futility of nonviolence in view of the conditions which prevailed in his country" (Encyclopedia of World Biography).This shows courage because he was willing to try nonviolence even though others had tried to demolish apartheid with violence. The African National Congress (ANC) tried to fight peacefully but Nelson Mandela argued for the setting up of a military wing within the ANC to protect the blacks in 1961. Even though the government, along with others, was against this cause and degraded the South Africans, Mandela stayed courageous against the odds and fought for his people's freedom.

(http://images.google.com/imgres?q=nelson+mandela+i ())

Mandela made sure that everyone clearly knew and understood his goal of equality, and took all the steps mandatory in order to reach that goal. He encouraged the actions of others, motivated others towards acceptance of people that are different, and gave hope to the forlorn South Africans. With Mandela gathering others and inspiring their hopes, the South African Government did it's most to put a stop to Mandela. He was put behind bars in 1962 but it still was not enough. "In 1982 Mandela was moved to the maximum security Pollsmoor Prison outside Cape Town" (Encyclopedia of World Biography). In the biography, it shows how much of an influence he was even behind bars, forcing the government to maximize his containment. It also represents how inspirational he was to the people of South Africa because they stuck by his side and continued believing. Even after a long 27 years in prison, Mandela exited his cell, ready to continue his life's work and to restore hope to his fellow South Africans. "After his release, and with the ANC officially banned by the South African government, Mandela's freedom of movement was restricted more than ever before. As the newly elected leader of the ANC, he was now faced with the formidable task of building the ANC underground" (Williams, Michael W). Mandella kept hope running throughout the South Africans, even though he was imprisoned and far away, and once he was released, all was certain that apartheid was coming to an end. This shows Mandela was a hidden hope to his people, as he secretly toured the country, meeting with people, giving advice, and directing certain efforts. Although the government was unstable and South Africans were rebelling, Nelson Mandela gave the people hope and kept them focused on their goals.

(http://images.google.com/imgres?q=apartheid&hl=en& ())

Mandela's strength of spirit allowed him to endure 27 years of imprisonment. He never compromised his beliefs, which shows integrity and a willingness never to give up the fight. Mandela had proven that he could keep his strength and fight harmoniously until the end. "In 1990, after 27 years of imprisonment, Mandela was freed. His release marked the beginning of the end for apartheid" (Trussell, Jeff). This shows his strength because, after his 27 year long imprisonment, he still had the strength to go back to where he left off and fight for South Africa's freedom while keeping it peaceful. His release also marked the point of restoring hope to those who had lost faith. Although he was free from prison, he was dedicated to continue the ANC and lead the South Africans. "After his release, he plunged himself wholeheartedly into his life's work, striving to attain the goals he and others had set out almost four decades earlier" (World Scientific Publishing Co). In this example, Mandela is strong because he devoted the rest of his life to continue helping, leading, and contributing to the ANC. Not only did he put the needs of others beyond himself, including his freedom, Mandela fought for what he believed what was right and was not broken down by the society that he lived in. He was strong because he consistently refused to compromise his political position to obtain his freedom and remained there for the South Africans.

Nelson Mandela accomplished his goals of demolishing apartheid in South Africa with courage, hope, and strength. Mandela lent his outstanding talent as a charismatic leader to rebuilding the ANC into a liberation movement. Nelson Mandela was a hero because of his courage, hope, and strength that he used to fight against apartheid. He was courageous because he fought for what he believed what was right. He gave hope because he always did the right thing and had a great influence on his people along with many others. His strength was shown when he exited the prison in excellent condition and was ready to finish what he had started. "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." (Martin Luther King, Jr.) I believe every challenge Nelson Mandela faced was a challenge that made him a better person because he never backed down or gave up.

Works Consulted

"Biography." Nelson Mandela -. World Scientific Publishing Co., 1999. Web. 10 Dec. 2012.

"Nelson Mandela." Contemporary Black Biography. Vol. 77. Detroit: Gale, 2010. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 9 Dec. 2012

"Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 10 Dec. 2012.

Trussell, Jeff. "The My Hero Project - Nelson Mandela." Myhero.com. N.p., 26 Aug. 2011. Web. 10 Dec 2012

Williams, Michael W. "Nelson Mandela." Ebscohost.com. N.p., Sept. 2008. Web. 9 Dec. 2012.