Nelson Mandela

by Cole Halbert from Toronto

(Cole Halbert)
(Cole Halbert)

Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela, otherwise known as Madiba or the saviour of Africa, was born on July 18, 1918, in Mvezo, Transkei, South Africa. To most, he is known as the first black president of South Africa, a nationalist, an anti-apartheid advocate, a peace activist, as well as many other titles and names; though for me, he is my hero.

Born into an impoverished yet powerful family with royal heritage, Mandela was one of thirteen children to his father, Chief Henry Mgadla Mandela of the Tembu tribe, and the only son of his mother, Nonqaphi Nosekeni. Throughout his years as an adolescence, Mandela lived in a tribal community, yet he and his family were soon after subjugated to live under British rule, upon being forced to relocate. At an early age, he decided to renounce his opportunity to become a chieftain and pursued his wish to obtain a proper schooling. He was educated at the University College of Fort Hare as well as the University of Witwatersrand, where in 1942, he qualified to practise law. Soon after, Mandela joined the A.N.C (African National Congress), a black-liberation group, and was heavily engaged in their struggle to obtain freedom and equality, against the apartheid policies of the ruling National Party.

Along with other A.N.C members, in 1952, Mandela helped create a campaign of defiance against South Africa's pass laws, and continued to spread his ideas of anti-apartheid activism. Throughout this campaign, Mandela began to advocate for acts of non-violent protest from his fellow oppressed South Africans, and he was later asked to help draft the South African Freedom Charter, a document that campaigned for social democracy and freedom. Slowly, Mandela was emerging as a leader as well as an inspiration for not only the A.N.C, yet for all people of colour (and those compassionate to them) across Africa and the world.

In 1960, the A.N.C was banned by the National Party - despite that the group no longer existed, this did not stop Mandela and other members from continuing with their life's work. After his approach of non-violence unfortunately failed, Mandela decided to create a militant sector of the A.N.C, called the "Umkhonto we Sizwe". Soon after, several leaders of the former A.N.C and the Umkhonto we Sizwe, including Mandela, were arrested. On June 12, 1964, Mandela and eight other activists were sentenced to life imprisonment on Robben Island Penitentiary, in Table Bay, approximately seven kilometres west of the coast of Cape Town. Mandela spent over eighteen years (1964 - 1982) confined on this isolated incarceration, and was subjected to strenuous physical labour, racism, and malnutrition. 

While imprisoned, Mandela and his cause was celebrated and heavily supported by South Africa's black population as well as among international communities that condemned apartheid. He became known as one of the most influential black leaders and his imprisonment allowed the anti-apartheid movement to gather immense amounts of strength and power. As South Africa's political situation worsened, the federal government was being pressured to free Mandela and other anti-apartheid activists. Finally, on Feb. 11, 1990, the South African government, under President de Klerk, released Mandela from prison. Shortly after his release, Mandela was elected as president of the African National Congress and led the A.N.C in negotiations with the South African government to abolish apartheid as well as bring about peace and equality.

In 1994, Mandela and the A.N.C won the South African presidential election and soon after, Mandela became the president of the country's first multiethnic government. After one term of office, Mandela decided to retire from politics, and allowed Thabo Mbeki to succeed him. To this day, Mandela has maintained a strong international presence and is known to be a symbol of peace, justice, resistance, and equality. He created three foundations bearing his name (The Nelson Mandela Foundation, Children's Fund, and The Mandela-Rhodes Foundation) and is the founding member of "the Elders", an independent group of former international leaders who collectively work to achieve worldwide peace and establish human rights. Although Mandela announced that he would be retiring from public life in 2004, his name continues to be immersed in our society - Nelson Mandela International Day is observed on Mandela's birthday and additionally honours his legacy, and countless tributes and museums exist throughout the world (eg: the Nelson Mandela Nation Museum, Nelson Mandela Square, etc.). He is a Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, who will forever be known for his defiance of tyranny, defence of liberty, as well as his utmost desire for equality, and for having one of the most meaningful impacts on our society, and of course my life.

Despite that I am not a person of colour or of South African heritage, Nelson Mandela has most defiantly had a tremendous impact on my life, and is most definitely my true hero. After conducting my research as well as personally travelling to South Africa, I have been able to learn from his wise teachings and courageous actions throughout his life, and through this, have come to the realization that he is an exemplary man, who I one day aspire to be. Not only did he save South Africa from the tyranny of the egocentric white South Africans, yet he brought people together, of all races and creeds, and was able to create one unified South Africa and a noteworthy example for the world. When faced with immense hardship, he preserved despite all odds against him, and he was able to set an example to all - his drive, passion, struggle and success are sincerely inspiring, and I am in absolute awe of what this man has accomplished for all of humanity. This personal admiration of mine has allowed me to strive to model after him and his qualities, with regards to how I act, think, and carry myself, and in addition, he is able to teach me important lessons, such as always standing up for what you believe in, the importance of self-sacrifice, and embracing all people as if they were your family. Nelson Mandela is one of the greatest civil rights leaders in world history - he triumphed over injustice, and he embodies hope, perseverance, selflessness, dignity, courage, honour, and integrity - yet most importantly, he is my hero.