NOV 21ST FILM FESTIVAL PREVIEW

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Wendy Milette
myhero@myheroproject.org
310-995-2618

NOV 21st PREVIEW MY HERO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL

Los Angeles, CA – 10/30/13 – The MY HERO Project honors individuals who are making a positive impact on our society with the annual MY HERO International Film Festival.

This month, the MY HERO Salon on Nov. 21st welcomes the 2013 MY HERO International Film Festival finalists whose films display the importance of education, activism and most importantly, heroism. The afternoon will include the screening of MEDIA AWARD WINNER GE Forward Focus documentaries, which include,
Slingshot, The Impact of One and The Secret of Trees

Dean Kamen

Slingshot highlights inventor Dean Kamen as he takes on the world's great challenges one invention at a time. Slingshot is the story of Kamen, his water purification technology, and his innovative approach to the planet's safe water crisis.

Muhammad Yunus

The Impact of One discusses Muhammad Yunus and his vision to bring the free market and entrepreneurship to the poor. Through his kindness and belief that every individual is born an entrepreneur, Muhammad Yunus was able to change the lives of several people by offering microcredit to those who would otherwise have no access. 

Aidan in The Secret of Trees

The Secret of Trees by Albert Maysles highlights 13-year-old inventor, Aidan, who realized that trees use a mathematical formula to gather sunlight in crowded forests. With this understanding, Aidan went on to create a system that allows us to use solar energy the same way.

Following the GE Forward Focus Documentaries, we will be hosting a meet and greet with the heroes and finalist filmmakers. 

Karim Sall from Senegal in Mr. Whale

Filmmaker Cheikh Seck from Dakar, Senegal and winner of the Sylvia Earl Ocean Conservation Award will be in attendance. This award, co-sponsored by One World One Ocean, celebrates films that honor people who are dedicated to protecting the world's oceans. Cheikh Seck will be available to talk about his film Mr. Whale, which details Karim Sall from Senegal who is nicknamed Mr. Whale due to his devotion to protecting sea life, and for his ocean conservation efforts in Senegal. Other finalist filmmakers will be in attendance as well. 

The MY HERO Salon will take place at the New Roads School in the Capshaw-Spielberg Center for Arts and Educational Justice inside the Leadership Center on November 21st, 2013. The afternoon screening will begin at 4:30 and the meet and greet with the filmmakers and heroes will take place from 7pm-9pm. 

The CENTER FOR EDUCATIONAL JUSTICE is the home to twelve nonprofit partners, selected by New Visions, who share the communal goal of providing educational programming for at-risk youth in Los Angeles. For more information, please visit http://myhero.com/CEJ

RSVP by emailing: myhero@myheroproject.org

Slingshot by Paul Lazarus

The Impace of One Produced and Directed by Holly Mosher

The Secret of Trees by Albert Maysles

Mr. Whale by Cheikh Seck and Khalil Ba from SENEGAL

More Featured Press_Release Heroes