Olga Maxomovich

by Marina Lavriyanets from Braslav, Belarus

Olya Maximovich (Braslav Museum ())
Olya Maximovich (Braslav Museum ())

The 22nd of June 1941... Morning... A lot of people woke up... And the War began which changed everything in a moment. It brought fear, deaths, grief, devastation... A lot of children became orphans, a lot of them were killed by the fascists. Only some of the children despite their age were able to find power to fight and not to surrender.

So, Olga Maximovich (a 12-year-old girl) was one of Braslav pioneers who showed her bravery and courage in front of the enemy.

At first, Olga hid the flag of the pioneer team of Zamoshye school with her friends. (She had studied here before the war started.) Like some people, Olga helped men and women who were injured, brought them food, was hiding them from the enemies in her grandmother's house.

In 1942 she joined the partisan brigade "Za Rodinu" ("For Motherland") and tried to fulfill all the tasks that she was given. At any moment fascists could stop her work but she was quite successful and continued doing her work.

Finally in 1943 Olya went to Slabodka with a very important mission. There was a fascist garrison. When she had been getting ready for her work she had taken a Pioneer tie with her. But after she was coming back the fascists seized her. The Nazi tortured her, they wanted her to tell them where the partisans were, but Olga said nothing...

Then they decided to kill the girl. When Olya was standing on the edge of the hole she took her tie and shouted "You can kill me but not the tie....!!!"

And these were her last words. So, our brave pioneer was killed. Her name was put into the list of the brave fighters who were members of the battalion of Belarusian "small eagles" ("orlyata").

A lot of years have passed but we remember their heroic feats. I admire these people because thanks to them we live in the world without war. It's their merit.

Let's remember those heroes and honour those veterans who are still living today!!!