Oprah Winfrey

by Sarah from Brookfield, Wisconsin

"Unless you choose to do great things with it, it makes no difference how much you are rewarded, or how much power you have."
Oprah Winfrey (www.oprah.com)
Oprah Winfrey (www.oprah.com)

Ever since I can remember, after school I would come home and watch Oprah on television with my mom. Not until recently did I understand what she truly does for this world. Oprah grew up in Mississippi with no money at all. She had a really rough childhood being abused daily. She was able to develop into a beautiful, African American, female with a great attitude towards life. Because she had such a rough past, Oprah cares for people no matter what social class they are in or how much money they have. Oprah has created many organizations such as the Angel Network, O Magazine, a girl’s school in Africa, and Oprah’s favorite things day. Oprah cares for other people like a mother cares for her children. Oprah Winfrey will be remembered forever for the things she has done.

Oprah's Angel Network
Oprah's Angel Network

One of the major charities that Oprah made was The Angel Network. This charity is dedicated to inspiring people to make a difference in each other’s life. This is a non-profit charity founded in 2000 by Oprah. She serves as the president and chairperson. This charity provides money for various problems around the world. These problems range from Hurricane Katrina victims to world poverty.

Another thing Oprah does for the community is provide a monthly magazine for women called O Magazine. It was first published on April 19, 2000. As of June 2004, its average number of copies sold was 2.7 million. This magazine is dedicated to helping women overcome daily problems they face.

Oprah's Leadership School in Africa
Oprah's Leadership School in Africa

One of the major things that Oprah has done recently was open The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls. This academy opened in January of 2007 at Henley-on-Klip in Meyerton. This academy was made to provide educational and leadership opportunities for academically gifted girls. These girls were hand picked by Oprah by going through an interview process. Oprah thinks that these girls will be able to make a difference in their towns they live in and can change it for the better.

In conclusion, Oprah is a substantial woman in history because of her generosity, her ability to stay true to herself after all the fame, and she is truly caring. In a way, Oprah reminds me of Mahatma Gandhi because of her desire to do good for the community. Oprah shows people that you can have a rough childhood and still become successful and make a difference in the world. These reasons make Oprah Winfrey my hero.

Oprah Winfrey - Academy of Achievement