Oprah Winfrey

by Landa from Spokane

"My philosophy is that not only are you responsible for your life, but doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment. "
<a href=http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/win0bio-1>Oprah Winfrey</a>
Oprah Winfrey

Oprah Winfrey is a woman who has lived the American Dream, and has used her dreams to benefit the lives of others. She was born in Kosciusko, Mississippi in 1954. She lived the first six years of her life with her grandmother, Hattie Mae. Winfrey grew up in a world of poverty, being taught to read and memorize Bible verses by her grandmother. At age six Winfrey moved to live with her mother who was less supportive than her grandmother. She lived with her mother in a ghetto in Milwaukee, raised on welfare. She suffered from abuse and molestation before running away to a juvenile detention home where she was turned away. Then she went to live under the discipline of her father. Throughout the course of her life, Winfrey has risen above the poverty in which she was raised and has provided numerous opportunities for others like herself.

Through her television show, Winfrey has created opportunities for others. In 1998 she created the Angel Network which encouraged people around the world to make a difference in the lives of others, especially the underprivileged. This charity raised funds for victims of Hurricane Katrina, helping to build homes for people in four states. In addition to this, Winfrey has raised money for children victims of AIDS in Africa, using the money to buy clothes and school supplies. She also has opened a school for girls in South Africa. Through this project Winfrey is promoting the future of women in South Africa. In addition to this, Winfrey has created the Oprah Winfrey Scholars Program, to provide education to those who have the ability, but not the financial means for furthering their education.

Winfrey was born in January of 1954 and started having a positive impact in 1998. She still lives today, and continues to impact the lives of millions of people today. Her struggle through the adversity of the initial years of her life has inspired many other women and young girls to overcome poverty and other situations. Winfrey continues to have more ambitions and dreams for how she can impact others to raise themselves out of poverty. In her remaining years it is safe to say that she will continue to impact people around the world.

Winfrey currently resides in Chicago; however, she lives in the hearts of those who she has helped and continues to help. Winfrey is a woman who works not only for herself, but also for the people. She does not spend all of her time in her home in Chicago, but she travels all over the world to see what kinds of impacts that she can have on the lives of everyday people who are in need. Winfrey may have a home in Chicago, but she also has a home in the hearts of millions of fans and supporters. She will also live forever in the philanthropic deeds that she has contributed to society.

<a href=http://www.international-womens-month.co.uk/pictures/oprah_winfrey.jpg>Oprah</a>
Oprah

Winfrey is an important woman to recognize for many reasons. She has come from a place without much opportunity and risen above her situation. She has created success for herself and has inspired others to do the same. She is a woman who is strong and has a big heart. She does what she can to help those who she can relate to, and in doing this, she sends the message to all women that they are not alone. Winfrey is an inspiration and her impact on this world will be felt long after she is gone.

Wikipedia, Oprah Winfrey - Wikipedia gives a biography of Oprah Winfrey
Oprah - Oprah gives a biography of Winfrey and her accomplishments up until now
Academy of Achievement - Academy of Achievement celebrates the achievements of Winfrey