Oprah Winfrey

by Ashley from Pleasant Hill

“I don't think you ever stop giving. I really don't. I think it's an on-going process. And it's not just about being able to write a check. It's being able to touch somebody's life.” -Oprah
<a href=http://caribqueenz.com/images/winfrey-oprah-photo-oprah-winfrey-6205285.jpg>Oprah Winfrey</a>
Oprah Winfrey

Most people who don't know much about Oprah, think that she just gives away cars and talks about other celebrities, like on the View, but she does so much more. She does what she can to help the world. She knows she has power, so she uses it to give back to the community. She's the ideal role model. That's why she's my hero.

When Oprah was a child, she lived with her mother and was physically and mentally abused. Oprah decided to run away to go and live with her father. She says that her father saved her life by the discipline he provided. He also provided her with guidance and helped her build her vocabulary by having her learn five new words a day. During this time, Oprah was being sexually abused by her nineteen year old cousin. Oprah was only nine and was confused. She became pregnant and had a premature baby. She had not reported the abuse because she had no idea what was going on. She didn't admit to the abuse until she was 22.

Because of the abuse from her mother and her cousin, she testified before the U.S. Senate Judiciary committee to create a database of convicted child abusers. She thought that it was important for people to know who was a child abuser. This is one of the first things that makes Oprah a hero. She has saved many children from being abused.

What are some other things that Oprah has done? Well, she always takes time out of her busy schedule to work with a variety on organizations and foundations. She is the national spokesperson for A Better Chance, an organization that gives kids, who are great in school, the chance to attend some of the finest college preparatory schools. Because she is so insistent that kids get a good education, she has donated millions of dollars toward children's education. She has created the "Oprah Winfrey Scholars Program". It gives scholarships to kids who want to give back to the community through their education.

<a href=http://www.katrinadestruction.com/images/d/6096-4/oprah+photo>Oprah </a> visits evacuees in New Orleans
Oprah visits evacuees in New Orleans

Oprah is truly a hero. Despite all that she has been through, she kept on thinking of others. None of the "Oh, poor me" kind of thing, but more of the "I've been poorly treated and others are, too. I should do something about it." That's why I admire her. She did something about it. Many people don't have the persistence to do something like that. But she did. She is a hero. A hero is someone who is willing to take a risk for something they believe in. No matter how challenging the task may be, they don't give up. That is what Oprah does everyday. She tries to improve people's lives. And yes, even if that means just giving them a car.

Oprah Winfrey's - Campaign to Stop Sexual Abuse
Oprah - MY HERO story by Kacy from Woodland Hills

Just so you know, when I wrote this at first it was just for a project, but then I found out all of the amazing things that Oprah has done for children and women around the world. She has opened my mind and made me see what other people go through. How can I complain about being a little hungry 5 hours after I've eaten, when children in foreign countries have been famished for months. She is and probably will always be my number one hero.