Click here to listen to the Peace Pilgrim story
"When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others."

PEACEMAKER HERO:
PEACE PILGRIM
(MILDRED NORMAN RYDER)
by Shiloh from Alaska

Peace Pilgrim

My hero is Peace Pilgrim. She took on the name Peace Pilgrim in her young years and it was her legal name. She took that name because she walked a pilgrimage for peace. Her birth name before she became Peace Pilgrim was Mildred Norman. Peace Pilgrim never owned a house or a car and walked for peace. That is why she is my hero. She believed that world peace would come when enough people had inner peace.

Peace was born in 1908 on a small chicken farm on the outskirts of Egg Harbor City, New Jersey. She said that she was thankful for that because she had a creek to swim in and had room to grow. Peace Pilgrim said that she was very happy in her childhood.

The reason she went on her pilgrimage is because she wanted peace. Peace Pilgrim wanted her pilgrimage to represent all peace, like peace among nations, groups, individuals, and the very important inner peace because that is where peace begins. She is very important to me because she walked really far, 25,000 miles for peace. Plus she was homeless, in a way in which she didn’t want a home. There are many quotes of hers that have a really good point. Mildred or Peace began her pilgrimage at the head of the 1953 Rose Parade in Pasadena.

Peace Pilgrim, Mildred Norman

Pilgrim never owned a house or a car for herself. Peace Pilgrim stated that a pilgrimage is a wander with purpose. She would walk for many miles at a shot and would house with complete strangers that would take her in for a while because they cared. She wore her short tunic with "PEACE PILGRIM" on the front and "25,000 Miles On Foot for Peace" on the back.

Now I will mention some of her quotes from www.peacepilgrim.com:

-Peace Pilgrim

"We are all cells in the same body of humanity."
-Peace Pilgrim

"The way of peace is the way of love. Love is the greatest power on earth. It conquers all things."
-Peace Pilgrim

Those three quotes are some of my favorites because they have good meaning and help people understand things.

Written by Shiloh from Alaska
Last changed on: 8/15/2014 12:13:16 AM

Peace Pilgrim Quotes and info.

Friends of Peace Pilgrim

Peace Pilgrim Interview

Peace Pilgrim Peace Pilgrim: Her Life and Work in Her Own Words

Starting in January 1, 1953 (in the Rose Parade), Peace Pilgrim walked for 28 years - across the United States seven times. She visited all fifty states, ten provinces in Canada and parts of Mexico before she died on July 7, 1981.

More Featured Peacemaker Heroes