Paul David Hewson a.k.a. Bono

by Rachel from Roxboro

"Music can change the world because it can change people"
Bono with his band U2 (Google Images)
Bono with his band U2 (Google Images)

Bono (Paul David Hewson) was born in Dublin, Ireland on May 10, 1960. Fourteen years later Bono would join his first band where he would be given his nickname. By the time Bono was twenty he had created the band U2, the band that he is still with today. U2 was in their first of many charity concerts in 1985, with many other bands. Soon after this concert U2 went on the Hope Tour. This kicked off all of U2’s good doing. The latest project that Bono has been working on is the product (RED) project, of which Bono was the co-founder.

Bono (Google Images)
Bono (Google Images)

These are the reasons that Bono is my hero. Bono and his band U2, have written songs that promote awareness about world issues. Their songs have substance and help people to have a better understanding of issues. Bono uses his talents to make the world a better place. In a quote from Bono he said “As a rock star, I have two instincts, I want to have fun, and I want to change the world. I have a chance to do both.” This is a great quote that is very inspiring and it really tells a lot about Bono and his personality.

Here Bono is seen playing with the children at a  (Google Images)
Here Bono is seen playing with the children at a (Google Images)

Bono’s personality is why he is such a great humanitarian and spokesperson for his company. Bono says things like they are, and makes them very easy to understand. When he speaks it is very powerful and compels many people to help out in any way that they can. Bono’s giving personality also shows that he is a very giving and compassionate person. From many of his quotes you realize that he truly loves the work that he does in Africa. When Bono says “I love this work I do. It’s a privilege to serve the poor,” you really realize that he loves to serve people and really wants to do good for the world.

Bono and Oprah with Product (red) giftbags

Bono spends lots of his time in Africa personally helping the poor and spending time with the poor. Bono really enjoys playing with the children and personally delivering not only supplies but also hope and a good laugh to these children. Bono uses his publicity and status as a rock star to help his cause. He plays in concerts to raise money and awareness about starvation, AIDS, and poverty in Africa. This is such an inspiration to myself and many other people because he uses his publicity and the paparazzi to get out the message, instead of promoting himself or his band. Bono said “Celebrity is currency, so I wanted to use mine effectively,” you really get a good understanding of what his mission is.

Bono with the other founders of the product (red) (Google Images)

Bono is a great musician and humanitarian, this is why he is my hero. Bono uses his publicity to promote a great cause. He writes songs with lyrics that promote awareness. Finally he has a great personality that shows in his actions and his words. Bono truly loves everything that he does and does a great job of it too. Bono should be viewed as a hero to many people because of all of these qualities.