Dr. Paula Selvester

by Alex Williams

One hundred years ago. a tall, gangly man named Abraham Lincoln successfully led our country through a civil war, keeping together the United States and ending the terrible history of slavery. This was not an ordinary man: He was the 16th President of the United States. He was a caring leader, helpful, persuasive, and strong-minded. But on the day of April 15th, 1865, he was assassinated. Every era a new "Lincoln" is born, a new person that you look up to. In my era, this person is my mother.

I think my mother, Dr. Paula Selvester, is the new Lincoln. Though she is not the President of the United States, she gives numerous speeches, some at work, while she teaches and some at home, persuading me to do my best, or to take out the garbage. Although she is not a lawyer or the President, my mother is a leader. She teaches teachers how to teach. She reads multiple amounts of books for her job so she can become a better teacher.

Like Abraham Lincoln, my mother is helpful. She will help anyone ranging from someone whose car is broke down at the side of the road to me needing help on my schoolwork. She prepares food to feed the homeless and helps my teacher in my classroom. She has on three occasions, insisted on giving one of our rooms to people she knows who because of work changes or personal hardship have needed a place to live.

Lincoln had to confidently stand up to all those who would challenge him, especially during the time he fought for the rights of others. My mother is strong-minded. She will not allow anyone to put her down. She stands her ground, strong and proud. I remember when I was a little girl, driving in the parking lot of a big grocery store, watching my mother wave at the workers who were picketing the front of the store. She called out to them, telling them that she would not shop and waved in support. Later, when they heard of her actions, two of her friends were critical of her for supporting a strike. She told them that because of the worker's sacrifice, others would be treated fairly.

Although my mother has not led a country, everyday she leads me and my brothers in our family and leads her students at work. She leads in the community by helping those who are in need. Like Abraham Lincoln, she believes in working for fairness and will not settle for less when she has the ability to help. Abraham Lincoln showed us how to keep a country together through fairness and strength a hundred years ago. My mother shows me how to keep a family and a community together with these qualities today.