Kevin Pannell

by Jamie from Sycamore Jr. High

Kevin Pannell in recovery center (http://www.popularmechanics.com/<br>science/medicine/1303041.html)
Kevin Pannell in recovery center (http://www.popularmechanics.com/
science/medicine/1303041.html)

What really is a hero? What do you really have to do, or be to make a hero? Is a hero someone who died for what they believed in? Are heroes always famous or do they have to be well-known? Well, Jeff Pannell isn’t dead and he isn’t very well-known, so is he a hero?

The life of 26-year old Arkansas National Guard, Kevin Pannell, was changed one day when he was fighting in Baghdad when there was a bombing. Several hand grenades were thrown at him and his fellow comrades. One of the grenades went off between his legs. Unfortunately, Pannell’s legs were so badly injured that both of them needed to be amputated! One leg was amputated above the knee and the other below.

Today Kevin Pannell lives his life with two prosthetic legs. Instead of just staying cooped up at home, Pannell still moves on with his life. He is still able to run a marathon with his new legs! Pannell also makes many inspirational speeches to others, who have had leg problems, to inspire them to keep moving on with their lives as he does. He has always had a good attitude on life but now, most of all, it comes in handy.

Some may think that Pannell is a “Hero Within” from the book A Hero’s Trail because many of those heroes had problems with their body and overcame that. It is true that Pannell had his legs amputated and is still able to run a marathon with his prosthetic legs, but Pannell is really a “Survivor Hero!” Pannell is a survivor hero because he survived a grenade bombing in Baghdad. Pannell also has many other qualities that Survivor Heroes have. Some qualities Pannell has are the ability to adapt. When he got his prosthetic legs he learned to live with them and learned to adapt to his new life style with them. One of Pannell’s most important qualities is his sense of humor. He has always had a good attitude. Pannell also has a lot of courage and perseverance to keep going and fight in the army.

So, I ask you again, what really is a hero? Does a hero have to be someone famous? No, a hero can be anyone who makes a difference in someone else’s life or their own. Jeff Pannell made a difference in his own life and many others, including mine. Anyone can be a hero, even you.

More on Pannell - -Click for more information about Kevin Pannell

WIlliams, Rudi. "Great Attitude Carries Double Amputee Through Recovery." American Forces Press Service .