Selena Perez

by Brittany from Selden

Selena Perez
Selena Perez

Everyone has someone that they look up to. One person that I look up to is, Selena Quintanilla Perez. Selena was a Latin/American singer who gave all her love and dedication to her music, her family and fans. She was successful in so many great ways. She was considered a legend because of all her achievements in singing and in fashion design. She showed never to give up on your dreams and after seeing the movie “Selena,” she inspired me to always achieve my dreams and never to give up. She was an amazing singer and she set examples for all people, including me. Whenever I think of giving up on something I think of how much effort she put in to achieve her dreams and how I shouldn’t ever give up on my dreams.

Selena Quintanilla was born on April 16th, 1971, to Marcella and Abraham Quintanilla II. Selena had two older siblings Abraham III and Suzette. Through her childhood, she had always dreamed of being a singer and her father often made the children practice music. Her father always focused on Selena’s brother and sister more then her, but soon Selena showed her father what an amazing voice she had and her father made a family group. Selena was the lead singer. They continued singing at the family restaurant Papagallos and soon after it went out of business, they moved to Corpus Christi, but that didn’t stop them. They still performed at weddings, small clubs and on the streets. They went from performing at small places, to getting record labels. Later she started recording her first album and 11 years later it came out. She later married Chris Perez, even though her family didn’t agree with their relationship.

She started recording her first English album in 1995. She had just opened her fashion business, Selena Etc. Inc, and her fan club which her friend, Yolanda Salividar organized. Selena was unstoppable. She had a wonderful career in singing in English and Spanish. Her fashion business was also doing well. She had won six Tejano awards, including top female artist for her eighth time. But soon problems broke out. Money was being stolen from Selena Etc, Inc., by Yolanda Salvidar. Selena was friends with her, so she had taken it very hard. She was going to meet with Yolanda to talk about it when Yolanda shot her in her right shoulder, resulting in Selena’s death on March 31st, 1995. She was still young, only 23 years old.

Selena Perez
Selena Perez

Selena may have had a short life, but she lived it to the fullest. She achieved all her goals. She showed how amazing her voice was and how unique she was in every way. Having a fashion business, a singing career, an amazing family, and a fan club, she had did everything she wanted to. She never gave up, always showed her inner strength and her dedication to her career. She is someone I will always look up to because she went from living in a small town, just being a little girl dreaming of being a singer, to starting to sing in front of people before she was even 10. When she met Chris Perez, her father did not agree with her. She loved him and was brave enough to marry him secretly, and he eventually accepted their relationship. She had an amazing career and she hit top so fast, Not many people can achieve their dreams that fast and easily. She will always be remembered and I will always remember how she never let anything shoot down her dreams. She was truly an amazing person. In her movie, they showed her bravery. When she had a concert and the stage broke, she was brave enough to go back on stage and sing for all her fans. She seemed to never let them down. Selena was amazing in every single way and I hope people see why she is such an amazing person to look up to.