Ronald Reagan

by Deanna from Coram

Don't be afraid to see what you see.
<a href=http://www.horaz.com/horazyclopedia/Photos/Reagan_Ronald/01_STD/Reagan_Ronald_04.jpg>Ronald Reagan</a>
Ronald Reagan

My hero is a man like no other. My hero is President Ronald Wilson Reagan. President Reagan changed the world that we live in today. At age 69, he was the oldest president to be elected President of the United States. He was also an accomplished actor. This multi-talented man was later diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, a crippling and devastating disease.

<a href=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/265621.stm>President Reagan and Vice President George Bush</a>
President Reagan and Vice President George Bush

Ronald Reagan is considered to be one of the best Presidents the United States has ever known. He did so much that helped shape the Nation that will live on. Ronald had a vision for America. Ronald’s philosophy was to bring peace to the world. “I want to avoid war and that is better achieved by being so strong that a potential enemy is not attempted to go adventuring.”

Ronald Reagan was also a very talented writer. His writing talents earned him the name “The Great Communicator.” Writing is how he communicated with many people, including his own wife, and with himself. He would always write love letters for his wife, when they were far away from each other or in the next room. He wrote letters to himself, as well. In these letters, he documented everything that was going on in his life. It was like a journal, detailing all that was going on in his personal and professional life. After his death, many books containing his writings were published. These books were a door to understanding this incredibly intelligent and insightful man.

<a href=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/265621.stm>Ronald and Nancy Reagan</a>
Ronald and Nancy Reagan

On November 5, 1994, Reagan announced that he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. His announcement shocked and saddened the whole world. He informed the Nation by writing a hand written letter. With his trademark optimism, he stated: “I will now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life. I know that for America there will always be a bright dawn ahead. Thank you, my friends. My God always bless you.” His wife, Nancy Reagan, stood by his side until the end of his life. She was his friend, his partner, his confidant. She never left his side. She planned every detail of his elaborate and very “presidential” funeral. It was fitting for such an important and influential man of our time. Ordinary citizens and digniteries from around the world attended his funeral.

Ronald Reagan's diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease astounds me. It deeply touches me, as my Grandfather was also diagnosed with Alzheimer’s a few years ago. Alzheimer’s is a powerful disease that takes over the whole body and mind. It is so depressing to see my Grandfather worsen with each and every day. Since this awful and crippling disease mostly affects one's memory, it frightens me that he will one day not remember who I am. I know what Ronald’s family went through and I feel so much compassion for them. Nancy Reagan allowed her husband to suffer through his disease with dignity. Unfortunately, for many suffering from this disease, and their families, it's almost impossible to cope with. It strips the person of who they are and leaves behind a just a shell of the person. I hope that Ronald's family helps lead the fight against this horrible disease. The world will always remember President Ronald Reagan as the strong, powerful leader that he was. Our country and our people were fortunate enough to be led by such a great man! He will always be remembered fondly by all!

Ronald Reagan - Biography from The White House
Alzheimer's Association - "The first and largest voluntary health organization dedicated to finding prevention methods, treatments and an eventual cure for Alzheimer’s."