Sidney Crosby

by Jordan from Edmonton

Sidney Crosby is a hero to many people these days and is an idol to millions of kids around the world! Crosby started playing at the age of two when he would go in his basement and shoot at his dryer and eventually his parents bought him skates. Sidney would go out with the older boys and play at the outdoor rink almost everyday and that's where the legend all started. His mom Trina had to work very hard to allow her son to continue in hockey since it was an expensive sport. At the age of 14 he was already playing with 17 year olds in triple A and had 44 goals in only 31 games! Sid the kid had tried to enter the QMJHL when he was 15, but he was too young.

The NHL draft was coming up and Sidney was very nervous, but something gave him a large boost of confidence. The Pittsburgh Penguins had offered for him to join their team and play with his idol Mario Lemieux. Crosby accepted the deal for 10 million and 3 years. Crosby impressed the crowd, getting at least 2 points per game in the second half of the season. He ended up with 102 points with 39 goals and 63 assists. Sidney is the youngest player to ever reach the 100 point mark!

People all around the world know Sidney for his great accomplishments in NHL, but many do not know what goes on off the ice. Crosby is very into raising money for charities, for example he had started a charity for Cancer and raised an unbelievable amount of money. He is not only a hero on the ice but off the ice too.

Sidney Crosby is my hero because he is one person that is a great idol. He's good at sports, a good leader and overall, a fantastic person. Sidney is the captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins because he shows leadership, never gives up and always pushes the limits.

Some facts about Crosby are:

Born on: August 17, 1987
Birthplace: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Height: 5-11
Weight: 193 pounds
Jersey Number: 87. He chose this because of his birthday.
NHL Team: Pittsburgh Penguins
First NHL hat trick: October 28 2006.
Family: Troy Crosby (Father), Trina Crosby (Mother), Taylor Crosby (Sister)
Car: Range Rover, Lexus
Endorsements: Reebok, Sher-Wood, Telus, Upper Deck, PepsiCo