Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll

by Daniela Montiel from Tampico, Mexico

www.unicef.org/ media/media_15183.html
www.unicef.org/ media/media_15183.html

If you look in the dictionary at the word "hero" it will tell you that a hero is a person to be admired because of his or her great achievements. I think a hero means much more than that, though. A hero is like an angel sent down from heaven to be one of us; therefore, anyone can be a hero. A hero is simply someone who sacrifices his/her own integrity to help or save others. They are someone with high moral standards, and who shows great passion, honesty, courage, and a persistent ability to fight for his/her goals. A hero sets an example for living, a pattern to follow, is admired by many, but imitated by few.

My hero is a woman full of life and dreams. She is a huge pride and inspiration for Latin-Americans; her name is Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll. Shakira is a great pop/rock n’roll singer and composer, with amazing lyrics and achievements that defines her as a prodigy artist and the best female lyricist in Latin America. She was born on February 2nd, 1977 in Barranquilla, Colombia and was raised there as well. Her dream and key source of fascination has always been music. At the early age of 8 she started writing her first songs which are the most passionate ones she ever composed.

At the tender age of 13, she signed her first recording contract with Sony Music Colombia who published her very first album titled: "Magia" (this album was only sold in Colombia). After graduating from junior high, Shakira decided to dedicate her life to music, recording songs such as "Peligro" ("Danger") and "Pies Descalzos," ("Bare Feet") which allowed her to introduce herself and her music to countries such as Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Peru, Ecuador and Spain. Her next album was named "¿Dónde Están Los Ladrones?" (Where are the Thieves?")which she produced. This album got Shakira a multi-platinum in the USA, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, México; and platinum in Spain. Life also brought her more good times with a Grammy and two Latin Grammys. Every appearance she made on television made her name become more recognized throughout the entire world.

Her lyrics are easy to understand and easy to identify with. ''I just try to be honest in the way I write'', she affirms.

Shakira’s foundation ‘Pies Descalzos’ actually develops a program for thousands of children who are victims of war in her country. It provides them with complete nutrition and an incentive for their parents to let them attend school. This way the foundation decreases the number of children between 10 and 12 years old that are being forced to work in the streets, fall into prostitution, become soldiers of war, or become future criminals.

"I believe that my goal in life is using the tools that my artistic career provides me with to understand the problems of the real world and to contribute in the search for their solutions. I trust that with the passing of time there will be more human beings that will help those who need it. The day this occurs, definitively, the world will meet peace," she said.

Today Shakira lives in the city of Miami, Florida where she continues motivating people all around the world with her music and actions.

She is my hero for so many reasons. One of them is that I really love her music and lyrics. I not only consider her as an excellent artist, but also as an excellent person and human being. Besides singing and touching many people’s hearts through her music, she uses her fame and talent to help others economically and morally. Her goal is to transcend and her only addiction is making music. She never forgets her roots and doesn’t classify herself as a diva or star; she says she is only human after all.

For me this woman means a lot and represents many of the things I would like to achieve. She has high moral standards, is full of kindness, love, courage and honesty. SHE IS THE PERFECT HERO.

Pies Descalzos Foundation - is devoted to finding and providing opportunities for children who are victims of the violence in Colombia.