Students of 6th Grade UPRRP

by Maria Mercedes from Rio Piedras

Visiting the University of Puerto Rico Square (September 14th 2016 - UPR, Rio Piedras Campus (6th Grade Students, Teachers and Student Teachers))

The students of 6th Grade of the Elementary School of the University of Puerto Rico started this Project with their Science class integrated with the Math, Technology and English class. It lasted from August to December 2016. As a student-teacher of 6th Grade for the English class of Prof. Lillian Mendoza, we created a unit that involved the promoting of consciousness in the community, and it was integrated with the Science project.

The first step was to get to know environmental activist in Puerto Rico. Taking advantage of My Hero we revised the qualities needed in a community hero. The students worked with the following characteristics: honest - focused - reliable - respectful - patient - loyal - courageous - open-minded -and devoted. With those in mind, the students worked collaboratively in groups of 4 or 5, to find information about 4 environmental Puerto Rican activists: Luis Jorge Rivera Herrera, Alexis Massol Gonzalez, Rosa Hilda Ramos and Ismael Guadalupe. Integrating technology with OneNote, each group produced a collage.

Luis Jorge Rivera Herrera (Collage about his project to save the turtles (Arianelis, Kristyna, Sebasti?n and Camila))

The students investigated their work and revised their qualities as leaders. The students had to follow these criteria to produce their Collages: * An attractive title. * The major claim of the environmental activist. * Written information: Minimum of 1 paragraph with 7 sentences. If you write more, you will have a bonus. You can search the internet to find interesting information, in English. Images related to what you wrote. A link to a video with an explanation of what it shows. Additional features such as: background, video links, hyperlinks to their achievements, and other.

Ismael Guadalupe - Saving Island of Vieques (Collage about his claim (Dafne, Ana, Oscar, Christian and Exan))

The second part of the English unit consisted on the aesthetic, ecological, historical and scientific values of the forest landscape of the university, located in the nearby premises. The students brainstormed ideas about how to create consciousness in the community and involve the people in their project to save the trees. With that information, they worked in groups to write a fiction story about a hero that decides to take a civic action and implement a plan to save the trees. Each group created a script for play. The final part was the production of the play in a video. The students performed the parts. The four videos were presented to the community in a general assembly, together with the procedure of the whole project. Here are some photos of the student´s work and their final reflection.

Memorizing our lines (Classroom (Actors))

6th grade has been working in a science project called: "RESCUING THE FOREST LANDSCAPE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF PUERTO RICO, Rio Piedras Campus". That project has an objective: protecting the trees and the environment. Let me ask you: What will you do when we won't have a single tree in the world?" Wow, I see all are reflecting! It will be too late to start planting trees at that time. First, we won't have air to breath and we will die. So, if you don't want THAT to happen, we need to start taking care of our dear friends the trees, because we need them to survive. Trees give us essential things to live, such as: food, oxygen, wood, shade, a place to enjoy with the family, and much more. We need you all to understand the importance of planting trees: to stop Global Warming! And to save the layer that protects our planet. We can start working with the trees of the University of Puerto Rico, because that is the place where we spent almost all the time, our second home. Trees give beautiful colors to our world and refresh our day. We invite you all to reflect about what we can do to save the trees and save ourselves.