Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

by Benjamin from Cedar Grove

An English proverb states, “A hero is a man who is afraid to run away.” A hero is determined to achieve his goal. He will do anything to get past the obstacles and make his dream a reality. Ordinary people will stop and not try, but an extraordinary person -a hero- doesn’t. In Hungary, Albert Szent-Gyorgyi is considered a hero for his development of Vitamin C.

Albert Szent-Gyorgyi <br>http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/<br>medicine/laureates/1937/<br>szent-gyorgyi-bio.html
Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/
medicine/laureates/1937/
szent-gyorgyi-bio.html

Albert Szent-Gyorgyi was born in Budapest, Hungary on September 16, 1893. As a young boy, he studied pharmacology in his uncle’s laboratory until World War I broke out. He served on the Russian and Italian fronts and earned a Silver Medal for Valour. After being wounded in action, he left the war. He married Cornelia Demeny whom he later divorced. His second wife, Marta Barbiro, died of cancer. When Albert’s wife died of cancer, he began searching for a cure.

Albert studied all over the world looking for a cure. Then one day before he left for Hungary, he gave his assistant the last sample of pure hexuronic acid to test. He did a test on a guinea pig and found that it was Vitamin C. Many people knew Albert discovered Vitamin C, but C.G. King noted that he discovered it without mentioning Albert. After the controversy, Albert won the Nobel Prize in Physiology and Medicine. Albert once said, “Discovery is seeing what nobody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.”

Albert is an open-minded, hardworking and compassionate man. He is open-minded because he studied many areas of anatomy, such as cell respiration and muscle contraction and didn’t focus on just one thing. His intelligence and hunger to learn helped him to think of new ideas. He is hardworking because he never gave up while he experimented. He didn’t just try one thing, he tried many. Albert is a compassionate person because he discovered Vitamin C while he was looking for a cure for cancer. Although it was too late for a cure for his wife, he wanted to help other cancer victims. That is why Albert is a hero.

In conclusion, a hero is a person who inspires other people to do great tasks. Albert Szent-Gyorgyi is a hero. He is a hardworking man who developed Vitamin C. Albert Szent-Gyorgyi is considered a hero in Hungary and around the world. On October 22, 1986 Albert died.

Nobelprize.org - Read a biography of Albert Szent-Gyorgyi who won the Nobel Prize for medicine 1937.
Profiles in Science National Library of Medicine - Read more about Albert Szent-Gyorgyi .
KidsHealth.org - Learn more about vitamins, especially Vitamin C.