Tom Cruise

by Ian from Glenbrook Middle School

Tom Cruise was born July 3, 1962. When Tom was a little kid he wanted to become a priest. Tom Cruise is my hero because he is a great role model and is very charitable. In 1996 Tom was awarded an Academy Award Nomination for best actor. In 1990 Tom renounced His devout Catholic beliefs. In the same year Tom embraced The Church Of Scientology claiming that Scientology teachings had cured him of his dyslexia. It took bravery and courage for Tom to get through his learning disability. In 2000 Tom was nominated for best actor in a supporting role for the movie Magnolia. Tom attended eight elementary schools and three high schools. Tom was diagnosed with dyslexia at the age of seven. Tom tried hiding his learning disabilities (dyslexia) from the other children at his schools. Tom was married to Nicole Kidman and then was divorced in the year of 2001.

After overcoming dyslexia, Cruise became a founding Board Member for the Hollywood Education and Literacy Project, helping students learn how to read and succeed, and in 2003, received the Excellence in Mentoring Award from the National Mentoring Partnership for his work with the organization. Tom and Katie Holmes go shopping for kid’s toys every once in a while to donate to the charity Stockings. Every time they buy and donate a lorry-load of kid’s toys.

Tom has gotten a bunch of nominations and awards for acting in his movies. All the awards he has won just shows that he is an amazing role model and very talented. In 1996 Tom was nominated for best actor in the movie Jerry Maguire for an Academy Award. In 1989 Tom was nominated for best actor in the movie Born on the Fourth for an Academy Award. In 1999 Tom won a reward for best supporting actor in the movie Magnolia in the Chicago Film Critics Association. In 2003 Tom was nominated for best actor in a drama for the movie Last Samurai for a Golden Globe Award. Tom won the best supporting actor in a motion picture award for the movie Magnolia in 1999 for a Golden Globe. In 1996 Tom won a Golden Globe Award for the best actor in a comedy or musical for the movie Jerry Maguire.

The reason I chose Tom Cruise as my hero is because he has achieved so many accomplishments and he has had such a successful life. Tom is a great role model and he shows a lot of leadership.