Tom Cruise

by Jeff from Leawood

Tom Cruise in Top Gun
Tom Cruise in Top Gun

Who is one of the best actors in the world? Who overcame a disease as a child, and helps hundreds of kids do the same? That person is Tom Cruise, my hero. He is my hero, because I love his acting and he overcame many difficulties to become one of the best actors in the world. As a boy, he was diagnosed with dyslexia. This is a disease that makes spelling and reading very difficult. His childhood and school life was very tough.

Tom Cruise (IMDb)
Tom Cruise (IMDb)

He also helps many people by sparking their imagination through his great acting. Many people have found ways to enjoy life through Tom’s great acting. My favorite movie of his is Top Gun. Tom Cruise has acted in 35 movies, and more are on the way.

As a boy, Tom Cruise was constantly on the move. In 14 years of his life, he had been a student at 15 schools across the US and Canada. He and his mom finally settled with his new step-father in Glen Ridge, New Jersey. As a boy, Tom wanted to be a priest. However, he dropped out of high school at 18 and in hopes of becoming an acting legend. His dream brought him to the Big Apple. The rest is history. He is now one of the most well known actors across the globe.

He also gives back to the community by community service. He founded the Hollywood Education and Literacy Project. It helps kids with dyslexia learn to overcome their difficulties and learn to read and write.