Tupac Shakur

by Levon from Glendale

1996, that was the year the Hip-hop community was shocked. A rapper by the name of Tupac Shakur died in Las Vegas, Nevada. He was one of the greats. Rap, in my opinion excelled because of Tupac Shakur. He is my hero because ever since I was a little kid I listened to his songs and ever since I learned about his life I was so inspired.

Born in Brooklyn, New York on June 16, 1971. He moved to Oakland, California when he was a teenager. He never met his father and his mother was a drug addict. As a child people called Tupac a "Black Prince." He used to feel lonely. He and his Family used to move all the time, Bronx and Harlem to name a few. Tupac used to say, "Wherever I went I had no buddies." To get himself away from all that, Tupac started writing poems and songs. Tupac's real dream though was to be an actor. He said, "The reason why i could get into acting was because it takes nothing to get out of who i am and go into somebody else." At the age of fifteen when he lived in Baltimore, Tupac started to fall in love with rap. His first song was about a friend who got shot. In January 1991 he joined hupty-hump and formed Digital Underground. Then in 1993 he formed his own group called Thug Life.

I connect to Tupac in many ways. I aspire to be a rapper just like him. I love the messages in his songs. Not the violent songs but the songs about love and life. Such as "Dear Mama", "I Aint Mad At Ya", and "Keep Your Head Up." He always wanted people to not join gangs and not do drugs. That is why I like him so much. I hope more and more people can hear his songs.

In conclusion, Tupac Shakur is my hero for multiple reasons. I like his songs, how tough it was for him to grow up, how good his life turned out, before his tragic death. I really wish i can be like him. If i do turn out like him maybe some kid can write a story about me.