WOMEN TRANSFORMING MEDIA KICKOFF EVENT

Contact: Wendy Milette FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Director of Media
myhero@myheroproject.org
949-376-5964

THE MY HERO PROJECT LAUNCHES BLOG TO CELEBRATE WOMEN IN MEDIA

LOS ANGELES, CA - 02/12/15 - Next month, The MY HERO Project will launch Women Transforming Media, a blog dedicated to profiles of women who are transforming media, and the world. Women Transforming Media will go live on March 8, 2015, International Women’s Day. 

Women Transforming Media is an initiative of The MY HERO Project, a 501(c)3 organization dedicated to sharing stories of everyday heroes around the world.  The American Association of University Women (AAUW), which has worked to empower women since 1881, awarded The MY HERO Project a 2-year grant for the development of the blog. Its first profiles include:

Dr. Eva Haller, an Hungarian-American activist, philanthropist, and Holocaust survivor. At age 12, she joined the Hungarian resistance with her older brother and famously convinced a Nazi officer to let her live. A recipient of the Forbes Award for Excellence in Mentoring, Eva has mentored several generations of women in media.

Abigail Disney, who began her filmmaking career with Pray the Devil Back to Hell, a documentary about the women’s peace movement in Liberia. The granddaughter of Roy O. Disney, she forged her own path in the movie business and went on to produce the groundbreaking PBS series Women, War and Peace.

Melissa Silverstein, founder of the Indiewire blog Women and Hollywood, who is an analyst of the industry and an advocate for equal representation of women in Hollywood.  She is also the co-founder of the Athena Film Festival at Barnard College, which features films by and about women.

Kathy Eldon is a journalist, author, producer, activist and mother to two amazing children, Dan and Amy Eldon. She is the visionary and founder of The Creative Visions Foundation.

“We are proud to be partnering with the AAUW, which has a distinguished history of empowering women,” said Wendy Milette, Director of Media for The MY HERO Project.  “The blog connects two spheres: women in the mainstream media -- which is adopting concepts popularized a decade ago in the non-profit space (e.g., women are a good business investment) -- with the non-profit space, which is using media more and more.”

The kickoff event for Women Transforming Media is on March 8, 2015. The event takes place from 2-5 pm at the Herb Alpert Educational Village Leadership Center, located at 3131 Olympic Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90404.  To RSVP to the event, please use our Eventbrite Invitation or email myhero@myheroproject.org.

Women Transforming Media

American Association of University Women (AAUW)

Eventbrite Invitation to the Event

More Featured Press_Release Heroes