Serena Williams

by Osy from SMAN 5 Bandung

Firstly, I want to introduce myself. My name is Osy from SMAN 5 Bandung, West Java, Indonesia. I’m sixteen years old. Now I will tell you about my hero. She is Serena Wiliams. She is a professional tennis player. I choose her to be my hero because I love to play tennis. And I have been playing tennis since I was eight years old. But I can play tennis very well before I know her.

Her full name is Serena Jameka Wiliams. She is twenty six years old and she is an American former World No. 1 ranked female tennis player who has won eight Grand Slam singles titles and an Olympic gold medal in women's doubles. Wow. That’s really fantastic. She has a younger sister. Her name is Venus Williams. She is more famous because she is also a former World No. 1 professional tennis player. Her family has a major clothing company.

Her father's name is Richard Williams. Her father dreamed to make his daughters tennis superstars because it would provide his family a better life. Mr. Williams taught Serena since she was a child. So her father sent Serena to a tennis school in Florida conducted by a professional player, Rick Macci. Mr. Williams sent Serena to a national junior tennis tournament. She won some local tournaments and a National Tournament. In 1995, Serena became a professional player. She has an aggressive style and we can see how Williams’s forehand has influenced in the women’s game.

By choosing Serena as my hero, I am encouraged to practice harder than before. Although I don’t have any experience, I believe I can be strong like her.