Haz clic aquí para leer la historia sobre Bajé Whitethorne en español
Click here to listen to the Baje Whitethorne story
I would like to see Indian Art recognized and appreciated for its cultural values and the significance it portrays.

ARTIST HERO:
BAJE WHITETHORNE
by Olin Smith

Bajé Whitethorne is my grandfather by clan (Navajo clan system). I admire him so much. He writes and illustrates children's books about Navajo traditional stories. He visits schools in my area and on the Navajo Reservation.

My grandfather is also a painter. His paintings are about the Navajo people, their culture, and their lands. He travels to many different places far and near to show people his beautiful art. Through his art, people from all walks of life, cultures, and ethnicities get a glimpse of what it is like to be a Navajo.

My grandfather is very special. I respect his art, but most of all, I respect him for being my grandfather. He feels that it is important for children to learn about their culture, whatever culture they may be from, as long as they do not forget who they are and where they come from. He also encourages children not to be afraid to explore their talents.

My grandfather's art is a bridge between our Navajo culture and all other cultures, so that we can all be better people. His art fills the gap between people and their differences, so that we can all get along and live in harmony.

I admire my grandfather, (Shii Chei), because he talks to me with love and guidance, and with respect. I love my grandfather.

Written by Olin Smith from Flagstaff, Arizona
Images created by Bajé Whitethorne

Bajé Whitethorne Official website

Sunpainters: Eclipse of the Navajo Sun
by Baje Whitethorne

More Featured Artist Heroes