Haz clic aquí para leer la historia sobre Cal Ripken en español

While Cal Ripken has been a hero to millions of fans throughout his baseball career, he also has been a hero to many charitable causes. Recently, Ripken was honored by the Phoenix Foundation for Children, along with former Russian President Mikhail Gorbachev.

"Cal Ripken Jr. has always placed a strong focus on giving back to the community. Through the Kelly and Cal Ripken Jr. Foundation, the Ripkens have generously supported local literacy and youth recreational and health related programs."

In 1995, when he broke Lou Gehrig's record of 2,130 consecutive games played, Cal Ripken's response was to set up the Cal Ripken Jr./Lou Gehrig ALS Research Fund at Johns Hopkins, to help find a cure for ALS, or 'Lou Gehrig's disease.'

Recently Ripken established the Cal Ripken Sr. Foundation to bring the joys of baseball to children with no access to the game, and to educate about the dangers of tobacco use.

Although he announced his retirement from baseball during the 2001 season, Cal Ripken Jr. will never retire from the heroic work he does in the community.

SPORTS HERO:
CALVIN EDWIN RIPKEN JR.
by Taylor from Northfield

The Life and Times of Calvin Edwin Ripken, Jr.
by Taylor Greenwood

Introduction and Highlights

Have you ever wondered if the Orioles had a secret weapon to win the World Series in 1983? They did: Cal Ripken Jr. In this biography you will learn about his background, what influenced him, and his present-day activities.

As important as Cal Ripken Jr. is on the baseball field, he is more important in the community. He and his wife, Kelly, have held several different fundraisers throughout Maryland for disabled children. Even though Ripken played major league baseball he still found the time to spend with Kelly, his son, Ryan, and his daughter, Rachel.

Ripken is now a retired Oriole who was in the All-Star game 19 out of 20 seasons. For a 41-year-old major-league baseball player, Ripken did pretty well.

Home Life in Maryland

On August 24, 1960, Calvin E. Ripken Jr. was born in Harve de Grace, Maryland. That's when it all started. At the time Ripken's father, Cal Ripken Sr., was playing for the Baltimore Orioles.

Ripken, Sr. says that Cal, Jr. was born with a bat and ball in his hands. Ripken started backyard baseball before he was four years old.

Ripken has two brothers, Fred and Billy, and one sister named Elly. When Ripkens' dad was pitching coach for the Orioles, he wasn't home a lot. So his mom, Violet, was the mom and dad at home most of the time.

In high school Cal Ripken Jr. was a pitcher for the school baseball team. At the end of his senior year in 1977, he was drafted as a pitcher for the Orioles minor league team.

He now lives with his wife and children in Maryland.

Ripken's major league career started in 1981. He has been playing the game of baseball for twenty years.

In his entire career the Orioles only won the World Series once, in 1983. But Ripken, by himself, has broken several records, such as most RBI's (Runs Batted In) for a shortstop player. Ripken has hit over 3,000 hits during his career. He also holds the record for the most consecutive games played: 2,632, to be exact.

When Ripken is signing autographs, some people take the autograph and sell it for money. That is why he is wary whenever he signs autographs.

What got him Started

Ripken's biggest influence was his dad. His dad brought him to some of the Orioles' practices. Ripken took notes on the players. He liked to go anywhere his dad went. In the morning, Cal Sr. would ask Fred, Billy and Cal Jr. if they wanted to go to the practices. The only one who would say yes was Cal.

His other biggest influences were the Orioles team and especially Eddie Murray. Ripken played with Murray for one year before his friend stopped playing for the O's. Eddie was very supportive of Ripken playing baseball. He gave Ripken many tips on how to bat and field.

Written by Taylor from Northfield

Visit the official Ripken site

Cal Ripken Sr. Foundation the Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation is dedicated to 'building character through baseball the Ripken Way.'

Cal Ripken, Jr.: Quiet Hero
by Lois Nicholson

Count Me In
by Cal Ripken, Jr.

More Featured Sports Heroes