Nadia Comaneci

by Brittany from New York

Nadia Comaneci is one of the world's greatest gymnasts ever. She was the first gymnast ever to get a perfect 10 in an Olympic gymnastics event. She was born on November 12th, 1961. She is considered one of the greatest gymnasts of the twentieth century. She is also an amazing person. I think that Nadia is an amazing person because of all of the places she's gone to help people around the world. She is a true hero to me.

<a href=http://www.nadiacomaneci.com/library/article336.htm>Special Olympics in Romania</a>
Special Olympics in Romania

Nadia hosted a separate gynastics team for children with Down sydrome. She coached the team and even had them travel to competitions. Nadia had the team sponsored by different foundations so that the team would be completely free for the families. She hosted this team at her and her husband's gymnastics academy in Romania. Nadia also went to China to help coach one of their teams. She spends most of her time doing charity work when she is not doing gymnastics.

<a href=http://www.nadiacomaneci.com/photos/1973/floordance.jpg>Nadia's floordance, 1970's</a>
Nadia's floordance, 1970's

Nadia Comaneci won five Olympic gold medals. She was thirteen when she won three gold and one silver medal in the European Championship in Skien. She was the first woman ever to score a perfect ten in any Olympic gymnastics event. She even won three consecutive European overall titles. She is the greatest gymnast I've ever heard of. I've always looked up to her.

Comaneci was hospitalized for surgery on her left hand due to blood poisoning from a cut made by the metal on her wrist brace. The doctors said that the surgery was only minor but the doctors wanted her to keep off her hand for a while. Nadia ignored the doctors and, after about two weeks of resting, went back to train and compete with her team. Nadia is obviously a fighter.

I choose Nadia Comaneci as my hero because I admire her giving spirit and her open heart. From what I have learned about her, she seems like someone that I hope to meet in the future. She has inspired me to work harder and give more. I am astounded at her eagerness to give. When I get older I hope that I will be able to give like she has, and I will work harder to achieve my goals. Thank you Nadia.

nadiacomaneci.com - Learn all about the famous Gymnast
The official site of Bart Conner and Nadia Comaneci - Nadia's Theme Link
International Gymnast Magazine - The authority on Gymnastics since 1956
The Nadia Comaneci Foundation Website - "With our help, excellence shall become a standard!"