Haz clic aquí para leer la historia sobre Frank Lloyd Wright en español

Click here to listen to the story.

ARTIST HERO:
FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT
by Nico from Crossroads School

Architecture is the triumph of Human Imagination over materials, methods, and men, to put man into possession of his own Earth. It is at least the geometric pattern of things, of life, of the human and social world. It is at best that magic framework of reality that we sometimes touch upon when we use the word `order.'
- Frank Lloyd Wright, 1930, 1937

Frank Lloyd Wright

Frank Lloyd Wright was born on June 8, 1867 in Richland Center, Wisconsin. He is one of the most famous architects in the world.

Wright lived in Wisconsin until 1887 when he moved to Chicago. He got his first job with J.L. doing architectural sketches. Next, he worked with Adler and Sullivan, where he was their chief assistant. He was married in 1889 to Catherine Tobin.

In 1893 Wright opened his own company where he developed the Prairie style, a uniquely American style of architecture. The prairie design consisted of plain walls and roomy living areas. From 1900 to 1910, Wright designed more than fifty prairie houses.

Wright's designs became internationally acclaimed, and throughout his life he designed masterpieces like the Guggenheim Museum and Falling Water House. At his death in 1959, he had built more than 400 buildings - and designed at least twice that many.

Written by Nico from Crossroads School

Library of Congress Designs for an American Landscape Exhibit

The Arts & Crafts Society has lots of Frank Lloyd Wright links

The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation has audio, video and excellent links

The Digital Archive of American Architecture has great examples of all of Frank Lloyd Wright's work and good links for more information

Frank Lloyd Wright for Kids: His Life and Ideas
by Kathleen Thorne-Thomsen

Years with Frank Lloyd Wright : Apprentice to Genius
by Edgar Tafel

More Featured Artist Heroes