Helen Keller

by Caitlin from Selden, New York

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved." — Helen Keller

Helen Keller was a truly extraordinary and courageous person with inner strength. She is certainly a hero. Helen Keller was blind and deaf, and although that left her and her family devastated, she did not let this major obstacle ruin her good spirits or her life.

A young Helen Keller
A young Helen Keller

Helen Keller showed that she was truly a hero by not letting her psychical disabilities get her down. She lived with them since the age of 2, and went on to learn sign language so that she could still communicate with her family, teachers and others around her. Early on, Helen Keller was very active at participating in the numerous organizations that focused on helping other blind and deaf people in different countries. She won many awards for helping people in countries such as Japan, Brazil and the Philippines. There is a whole room dedicated to her in the American Foundation for the Blind in New York City. This room is called the Helen Keller Archives, and it holds all of her awards that she has received from foundations that admire her for her work.

Her life story also inspired many people to write. Helen Keller has written books, articles, and essays. She has even written a book in Braille, which is a series of dots raised on the paper, representing letters of the alphabet. In 1903, she wrote a book that inspired and informed many people, "The Story of My Life." It told about her disabilities and accomplishments. She also wrote books and articles about social issues and women's rights, which inspired other women to speak out about their beliefs and opinions.

Helen Keller was involved in numerous campaigns, and other charitable events. In 1924, she began a very successful campaign called the "Helen Keller Endowment Fund." This campaign gave special services to many blind and deaf children, as well as older people. Many participated in this campaign. They volunteered to teach sign language to the deaf and Braille to the blind, and do other favors for them. This was a very helpful and successful campaign because it worked. Helen Keller was respected for starting it.

This woman should be recognized as a hero. Helen Keller is my hero because she has amazed me with all of the charity events she has participated in and created. She also amazes me because she did not sit down and feel sorry for herself due to her physical issues. She went out and helped other people who had the same problems as she did. Doing these things showed that Helen Keller was not selfish, but truly a generous, caring woman.

Helen Keller International
Helen Keller: - Services for the Blind