Harry Houdini

by Austin from New York

Harry Houdini was a fantastic person. He was fantastic because he had a lot of adventures and he overcame obstacles. This story about his life talks about his background, his obstacles, his contributions and why he’s a hero to everyone.

Harry Houdini was born in Hungary in 1874. There were five children in his family and his parents' names were Samuel and Cecelia Weiss. A man named Robert inspired Harry to become a magician at a very young age. Robert was the most talented magician in New York. Harry was brave and confident because he never turned down any trick. He persevered. When he set a goal, he never gave up. Harry was very trustworthy because he never divulged secrets. Unfortunately, he only lived to his late forty’s.

Harry Houdini faced many obstacles in his life. Some were hard to conquer and some were hard to get over. His hardest obstacle was when his mother died. Then he only had his wife left because his father had died when he was very young and his siblings had moved far away. Some of the other obstacles he faced were in performing his tricks, like escaping from some of the biggest handcuffs in Scotland. Also, he made animals appear and disappear in a cardboard box. He escaped many safes, which was hard for him because a couple of times he lost the microscopic screwdriver. His last trick was making an elephant disappear.

Harry Houdini was very giving because he did lots of things for charity. Harry always performed free shows for hospitals and orphanages. He also gave lots and lots of money to charity. He donated a lot of his magic books and old things to orphanages. His last performance was for the orphanage that he had never given anything to.

Harry is a hero. He’s a hero because he could do amazing things like make elephants appear and disappear. Also, he was able to get out of pretty much anything, such as handcuffs and safes. Harry’s generosity was amazing, like when he gave tons of money to the poor. One awesome thing about Harry was that he never thought of himself first, he always thought of his wife or his mother first. Even though Harry’s life was short, he probably still had a good one. Everyone could probably learn a lot from him, like how to be giving or something else.