Judge Michael Tynan

by Nina

photo of Judge Michael Tynan courtesy of LA Superior Court

Many homeless people regularly receive tickets and fines for infractions such as sleeping in the park, panhandling or urinating in public. These fines add up and create a financial burden. It is especially frustrating to the homeless, particularly those who are trying to get off the streets and turn their lives around.

Enter Judge Michael Tynan, a Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge who recognized this problem. Tynan found out about a pilot program in San Diego, where Judge Leo Valentine had started a so-called "Homeless Court" in 1999. Judge Valentine's unconventional court was a place where homeless veterans could have minor, nonviolent infractions erased from their records.

Judge Tynan fought to bring a homeless court to Los Angeles County. He succeeded, and in November, 2000, the first homeless court was held on the streets of skid row, an area of Los Angeles known for its large street population. Judge Tynan literally takes his courtroom to the streets, holding sessions on street corners and in homeless shelters.

There are strict requirements as to who is eligible to get their charges cleared in homeless court. Persons wishing to erase infractions must have been enrolled in a rehabilitative program for at least three months and their citations must be at least six months old. Citations cannot be felonies or serious misdemeanors. Charges involving a victim, weapon or drugs are not eligible to be erased through homeless court.

Homeless persons served by this program are granted pro-bono legal services by schools such as the University of California, Los Angeles, the University of Southern California, Pepperdine University and Loyola Marymount University. An organization called Public Counsel coordinates the legal services.

Judge Tynan's will to help the homeless of Los Angeles County has helped make a difference for countless homeless men and women who were ready to change their way of life.

Earth Visions Productions, a documentary film company in San Diego, California, has created an educational film about Homeless Court.

Public Counsel - Coordinates pro-bono legal services for homeless court
A Judge for Second Chances - Stanford.edu

One-third of all U.S. homeless men are veterans. This Web site is devoted to helping homeless veterans.

The first Homeless Court started in San Diego, California, in October, 1999, with an annual community event called "Veterans Stand Down." Each of the county courts had judges and court staff available to pull cases and adjudicate them on the spot for the veterans who attended and requested this service. The veterans were not incarcerated, but, if appropriate, were ordered to do community service or take other steps to clear their records and contribute to their rehabilitation. In addition, other community organizations provided other needed services, including mental health, substance abuse, and health and housing referrals.

Veterans had a large number of bench warrants for failures to appear in various courts due to transportation and other problems. It was also clear that many wanted a fresh start and wanted to take responsibility for their lives. The idea of getting these cases out of the system and, at the same time, providing a way out for this population was very appealing.

In its first year, Homeless Court saw over 200 people, and adjudicated and cleared over 500 cases. Judge Leo Valentine held court sessions at the homeless shelters, since the homeless could not come to court.