Contact: Wendy Milette FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
VULCAN PRODUCTIONS WINS 2015 MY HERO MEDIA AWARD
SANTA MONICA, CA. - 11/15/15 - Paul G. Allen's Vulcan Productions is the winner of The MY HERO Project’s 2015 Media Award for it’s documentary film Racing Extinction. The film, by director Louie Psihoyos (The Cove), explores the plight of endangered species and heroic efforts to protect them. The film features powerful images that filmmakers hope will lead to a grassroots call to action.
The films of Vulcan Productions deal with a wide range of subjects that include music, education, science and health. The company offers resources, tools and information to help build supportive communities. Productions include the PBS series “Evolution,” the Emmy-award winning “Rx for Survival: A Global Health Challenge,” the Peabody award winning Judgement Day: Intelligent Design on Trial,” and “Girl Rising,” in partnership with First Lady Michelle Obama, designed to help break the cycles of poverty by educating girls.
Allen was co-founder of Microsoft and founder of Seattle’s Experience Music Project museum, the Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame, and the Flying Heritage Collection, which features restored World War II aircraft. He also contributed $100,000,000 for the Allen Institute, which has generated research leading to new insights and advancement in the fields of neuroscience and artificial intelligence.
Allen recently told the New York Times, “It always comes back to what you are passionate about. Through philanthropy,” he said, “you are transmitting your hopes, and keeping them going in the future.”
Vulcan Productions will be honored at MY HERO’s 20th Anniversary Celebration and Awards Ceremony on November 21st, from 7 – 9 PM. The event, which features short film screenings, live musical performances and award presentations takes place at The Ann and Jerry Moss Theater in Santa Monica.
Ann and Jerry Moss Theater, New Roads School
3131 Olympic Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90404
The festival is part of The MY HERO Project, a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to sharing stories of heroes around the globe. MY HERO's award winning web site (www.myhero.com) hosts the world's largest archive of hero-themed stories, music, art and short films.
The November 21st Multimedia Festival will also feature:
• Writer and Director Nonny de la Pena , CEO of Emblematic Group who, will receive MY HERO’s inaugural Immersive Storytelling Award
• Author and educator Erin Gruwell, founder of The Freedom Writers Foundation and winner of MY HERO’s 2015 Global Educator Award.
• Peace Activist Ron Kovic, author of Born on the Fourth of July, who will present a prize to the short film that addresses the issue of peace and conflict resolution in an engaging and thought-provoking manner. (myhero.com/kovic)
• Author and activist Kathy Eldon, who will present the Dan Eldon Award, if honor and memory of her journalist son, to the filmmaker who best uses creativity to effect change. (myhero.com/eldon)
• Reggae musician Pato Banton, who will be performing live.
• Artist Robert Shetterly, known for his portrait series, "Americans Who Tell the Truth," who will present the Shetterly Prize to the artist who most eloquently represents a hero or an act of heroism in art.
VIP Tickets are available to support MY HERO's work providing positive media & mentoring to students and teachers around the world. A special reception will be provided for VIP guests from 5:30-6:30 in the Capshaw Spielberg Center for Arts and Educational Justice
General admission tickets are available for the Multi-Media Celebration. Passes are available for students, teachers and filmmakers upon request.
For press and sponsorship opportunities, please contact: email@example.com