Samuel F. B. Morse

by Daniel from USA

My hero is Samuel F. B. Morse. He was born in 1791 in Charlestown, Massachusetts. Later, he moved to New York. He also went to Europe to study to be a painter. He is mostly remembered as the man who invented Morse Code. He died on April 3, 1872, at the age of eighty-one.

Samuel F. B. Morse began his adult life as a painter. He was a member of the British Royal Academy. Later, he founded the National Academy of Design in New York City. Morse ran for mayor in New York twice, but didn’t win.

Later in life, Samuel began inventing marble-carving machines and water pumps. In 1838, Samuel Morse invented a code that uses different numbers and the English alphabet. It was called the Morse Code. The first message he sent in Morse Code on May 24, 1844, said, “What hath God wrought?” Later in his career, he telegraphed a message to a submarine. Two years later, he telegraphed Baltimore from Washington.

The Morse Code effects us today as a way to communicate around the world. The army uses this code so enemies don’t know what they are up to. Ships use Morse Code so they don’t crash or sink. Western Union was founded in 1854. In 1866, Western Union had the first successful trans-Atlantic cable link.

I respect Samuel F. B. Morse because he made a difference in a lot of people’s lives. Also, he taught me to be determined and never give up. Another thing he taught me was to try to make everything better than it is or was. He is my hero because he was a great man who made good inventions that still help today. I believe that Samuel F. B. Morse changed everyone’s world with his inventions.