Sir William Wallace

by Michael Telfer

"Every man dies, but not every man truly lives."

Many have seen the movie "Braveheart." I myself have seen it more than ten times. (At three hours per viewing, that's a lot of my life used up.) But I feel that is hasn't been wasted time. After watching the movie a few times, I decided that I would read the novel that the movie was based on. I found that much of the novel and film was true and that Wallace did much more than what was told in the novel and film. I became more interested in the history and the true story behind William Wallace.

William Wallace was a freedom fighter for the Scottish people in the early 1300's. During this time, King Edward of England was attempting to gain control of Scotland by paying off the Scottish nobles and killing those who didn't accept his payments. One of these nobles was William Wallace's father.

Wallace took up his father's fight and raised an army against Edward. This army was strengthened by Wallace's words and determination. Many believed that their leader's "pep-talks" led to Scottish victories.

Wallace's dictum that "every man dies, but not every man truly lives" has made me think about my life and what I plan to accomplish. Many people seek fame and fortune for their entertainment skills. I would be happy just to be known by a select few for personal accomplishments.

MacBraveheart - A website dedicated to the story and fascination of William Wallace's life