Not for Ourselves Alone: The Story of Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony

By Geoffrey C. Ward, Ken Burns

Publisher: Knopf; (December 26, 2001)
ISBN: 037570969X
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
From the Publisher
Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony were born four years and seventy-one miles apart, into a world ruled entirely by men. Together, for more than half a century, they led the struggle to win the most basic civil rights for women. Yet although their work immeasurably bettered the lives of a majority of American women, their names and deeds have been largely forgotten.. "The two women could not have been more different. Stanton had been born to wealth and comfort, and was for many years the housebound mother of seven. However, she was also an uncompromising revolutionary for whom winning the vote was always just one item of a comprehensive agenda aimed at improving the status of all women in every area of life.. "Anthony was a Quaker farmer's daughter who had chosen not to marry and remained self-supporting all her life. She was plainspoken, disciplined, and single-minded; she had learned to be a canny tactician as well, willing to tack to the left or right if by so doing she could steer the woman-suffrage movement closer to its goal.. "With essays by Ellen Carol DuBois, Ann D. Gordon, and Martha Saxton, and a supporting cast that includes John Brown and Frederick Douglass, Lucretia Mott and Victoria Woodhull, Not for Ourselves Alone is a vivid and inspiring portrait of two of the most important, and least-known, figures in American history.
User Reviews:
linda | 10/29/2010 1:59 AM
it was very helpful for you to stand up for womens rights
| 5/30/2008 12:15 PM
she was an amazing woman, God bless her soul.
Charnette Smith | 5/12/2008 3:00 AM
Elizabeth Cady Stanton is my hero!!

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews