Poets

Maya Angelou

by Yasmin

" History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again."

Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Ann Johnson, was born on April 4, 1928. She was born in Saint Louis, Missouri; but as they say ‘don’t judge a book by its cover.’ She grew up to inspire many and be a leader to those who chose to follow her. She was a very intelligent and famous poet,an actress, and she took part in the civil rights movement. She lived a wonderful life full of the determination to educate and establish happiness for many blacks and whites.

Her series of books, starting with the autobiography 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings', was nominated for a bestseller. It told about her life and experiences, but it also sent a message to everyone who took the time to read the book. It said to never give up, and always have the courage to do what others cannot. She was strong- minded in that sense.

As a child, Maya was once molested, but she grew up and the grief she felt then was put into her poems. A favorite to many is her poem called 'Still I Rise'. It tells about someone who, no matter how many tried to bring her down, she continued to get up. Maya is my hero because of her determination to be herself. During war and dispair and unhappiness she was always trying to better herself to be the person who was needed most of all.