Mary Pickford: ‘America's Sweetheart’

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

Mary Pickford, born Gladys Louise Smith on April 8, 1892, in Toronto, Canada, rose to become one of the most iconic figures in the history of American cinema. Known as "America's Sweetheart" and "The Girl with the Curls," Pickford captivated audiences around the world with her remarkable talent, charisma, and pioneering spirit. Her contributions to the early days of Hollywood helped shape the film industry and paved the way for future generations of actors and filmmakers.

Early Life and Career Beginnings

Pickford's journey to stardom began at an early age. Born into a working-class family, she began performing on stage as a child to help support her family. In 1907, at the age of 15, Pickford joined a touring theater company and quickly gained recognition for her acting ability. Her natural talent and infectious charm caught the eye of film producer D.W. Griffith, who offered her a contract with Biograph Studios in New York City.

Rise to Stardom

Pickford's transition to the world of cinema marked the beginning of her meteoric rise to fame. She quickly became one of the most popular actresses of the silent film era, known for her expressive performances and ability to connect with audiences on an emotional level. Her breakthrough role came in Griffith's 1914 film "The New York Hat," where she played a small-town girl who receives a gift of a stylish hat from a stranger, a role that showcased her versatility and range as an actress.

Throughout the 1910s and 1920s, Pickford starred in a string of box office hits that solidified her status as a Hollywood superstar. Films like "Poor Little Rich Girl" (1917), "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm" (1917), and "Pollyanna" (1920) endeared her to audiences worldwide and earned her a legion of devoted fans. Pickford's signature look, characterized by her long, curly hair and innocent demeanor, became synonymous with the idealized image of American womanhood.

155141Mary PickfordWiki Commons

Beyond her talents as an actress, Pickford was also a savvy businesswoman and visionary entrepreneur. In 1919, she joined forces with fellow screen legends Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, and D.W. Griffith to form United Artists, a groundbreaking film studio that gave actors and filmmakers greater creative control over their work. United Artists quickly became one of the most influential production companies in Hollywood, producing a diverse range of films that reflected the artistic vision of its founders.

155141Cari BeauchampMary Pickford and Frances Marion

Frances Marion, another luminary of early Hollywood, played a crucial role in shaping Pickford's career and the success of United Artists. Marion, a prolific screenwriter and director, collaborated with Pickford on several films, including "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm" and "Stella Maris." Her storytelling prowess and creative vision helped elevate Pickford's performances and contributed to the success of their collaborations.

Mary Pickford's legacy in the film industry is unparalleled. She was not only a talented actress but also a trailblazer who helped shape the course of American cinema. 

Watch this film from the MY HERO Project interviewing Cari Beauchamp, an award-winning author, film historian and documentary filmmaker, who famously rescued Hollywood legends "from the footnotes of history."

Also check out Beauchamp's book Without Lying Down: Frances Marion and the Powerful Women of Early Hollywood which celebrates other female Hollywood legends.