ORGANIZER

Select Stories from the 2023 Film Festival

Read about some of the Film Festival finalists and winners

stories about festival filmmakers
Credit: myhero

Meet our Film Festival Director, Wendy Milette 

Celebrating MY HERO's Film Festival Director, Wendy Milette

By: Abigail Richardson
Celebrating MY HERO's International Film Festival Director, Wendy Milette

Global Educator 2023

Martin Smatana is the winner of the MY HERO 2023 Global Educator Award

By: Abigail Richardson
Martin SmaMartin has been honored with the Global Educator Award for his educational films and his uplifting children’s book, A Year of Good News.

2023 Global Educator - Martin Smatana

By: Union Square & Co
Martin shares about creating his book A YEAR OF GOOD NEWS!

Media Award

Louis Schwartzberg

By: Betty Bailey
Louis Schwartzberg is a cinematographer who finds beauty and gratitude in things most people barely notice — butterflies, bees, hummingbirds.

Emerging Artist 2023

Care Dorghalli wins the Emerging Artist Award and BEST of FEST

By: Abigail Richardson

Care Dorghalli is the recipient of The 2023 MY HERO International Film Festival Emerging Artist Award and her film 'Down the Road' has won 'BEST OF FEST'!

Woody and Luna Faircloth

By: Abigail Richardson

The film 'Down the Road' follows the journey of Woody and Luna Faircloth as they provide transitional homes to survivors of some of California’s deadliest fires.

MY HERO 2023 Film Festival Winners

'The Emerald Edge' from The Nature Conservancy

By: Abigail Richardson
The Emerald Edge: Cedar's Story is the winner of the 2023 Immersive Storytelling 360 Award in the MY HERO International Film Festival.

'A Prayer for My Mother: The Eva Brettler Story' by The Righteous Conversations Project

By: Naomi Gledhill
A Prayer for My Mother: The Eva Brettler Story wins the Women Transforming Media Category of the 2023 MY HERO International Film Festival.

Finding Home, directed by Ethan Dumper wins the 2023 WOJ Youth Reporter High School Documentary Award

By: Abigail Richardson
Finding Home, directed by Ethan Dumper has been selected as winner of the 2023 WOJ Youth Reporter High School Documentary Award!

'The Descent,' directed by Tatiana Collet-Apraxine wins 2023 Immersive Storytelling Award

By: Naomi Gledhill
The Descent, directed by Tatiana Collet-Apraxine, has won the Immersive Storytelling Award at the 2023 MY HERO International Film Festival.

'Goddesses,' directed by Morgan Maassen wins 2023 Sing for Hope Music Video Award

By: Naomi Gledhill

'Goddesses,' directed by Morgan Maassen is a winner in the Women Transforming Media category at the 2023 MY HERO International Film Festival.

NON VIOLENCE is the winner of the 2023 Sing for Hope Music Video Contest

By: Abigail Richardson
NON VIOLENCE is a music video from Sierra Leone

Maddie Barnes wins the Overcoming Obstacles Award at the 19th MY HERO International Film Festival

By: Abigail Richardson
Secondary Strobe directed by Maddie Barnes has won the Overcoming Obstacles Award at the 19th MY HERO International Film Festival.

The ‘Wellness Song’ is honored at the 19th MY HERO International Film Festival

By: Abigail Richardson
The ‘Wellness Song’ by elementary students has been honored in the Sing for Hope Category at the 19th MY HERO International Film Festival.

Kedaton Campbell is the High School Winner of the 2023 Sing for Hope Music Video Award

By: Abigail Richardson
Echoes of War, a music video, by Kedaton Campbell has been selected as the High School Honoree for the 2023 Sing for Hope Music Video Award

Surfers Healing Autism Camps

By: Abigail Richardson
Surfers Healing, the original surf camp for children with autism was founded in 1996. Its mission is to enrich the lives of people living with autism by exposing them to the unique experience of surfing.

'Keiko Fukazawa' directed by Anabelle Vo honored by Eva Haller

By: Abigail Richardson
The short film 'Keiko Fukazawa’ directed by Anabelle Vo is a finalist at 19th the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Shalom Ukraine (YouthBridge) is a Film Festival Winner

By: Abigail Richardson
Shalom Ukraine is a film about Ukrainian teenage refugees, from different parts of Ukraine, who find themselves in Germany

PB&J Productions My Hero

By: Shelby Dahl

The 2023 Dan Eldon Student Activist Award has been awarded to students from the Global Media Studies Magnet at Cleveland Charter High School for their film ‘PB&J Productions Savannah Ackerman’.

Mónika Naranjo-Shepherd: Storytelling Through Her Eyes

By: Jennifer Yoshikoshi
As a child, Mónika Naranjo-Shepherd loved writing stories.. Now, she is a well-travelled documentarian and 2023 winner of MY HERO Project’s Sylvia Earle Award.

The Lora Batchelor Middle School Wins Again!

By: Abigail Richardson
Two submissions are receiving special awards and a further three placed first in the middle school humanitarian, science and civil rights categories.

Surfgrass Productions, Finalists at the 2023 MY HERO Film Festival

By: Abigail Richardson
One of the finalist films for the 2023 Award is ‘Fishing into the Future: A San Diego Story,’ directed by Lindsay Bauman and Andrea Sanchez Davidson.

The Vegan Farmer - Sarah Heiligtag

By: Abigail Richardson
Heiligtag is a vegan and farm owner who understands that farmers often struggle with conflicted emotions of caring for their animals while earning a livelihood

By: Abigail Richardson

'Los Guardianes' directed by Kira O' Boyle

By: Naomi Gledhill

'Los Guardianes' wins in the College Documentary category at the 2023 MY HERO

1.5 Degrees of Peace by Kasha Sequoia Slavner

By: Abigail Richardson
A feature documentary directed by Award-winning Gen-Z filmmaker and global youth leader Kasha Sequoia Slavner.

Press Releases Announcing 2023 Finalists for our Special Awards 

MY HERO Announces 2023 Kovic Peace Prize Finalists

By: MY HERO Media

MY HERO NAMES FINALISTS FOR THE 2023 DAN ELDON ACTIVIST AWARD

By: MY HERO Media

2023 RELATIONSHIPS FIRST AWARD FINALISTS ANNOUNCED

By: MY HERO Media

Finalists Named in the 2023 Mattie Stepanek Poetic Film Prize

By: Abigail Richardson

FINALISTS NAMED IN THE 2023 WOMEN TRANSFORMING MEDIA AWARD

By: MY HERO Media

FINALISTS NAMED IN THE 2023 WOJ YOUTH REPORTER AWARD

By: MY HERO Media
The WOJ Youth Reporter Award celebrates youth reporters who are creating videos on heroes making a positive difference in their community and the world

MY HERO Names 2023 People's Choice Finalists

By: MY HERO Media

Organizer created on 10/26/2023 2:28:05 PM by Abigail Richardson

Last edited 3/11/2024 5:27:07 PM by Wendy Milette