LESSON PLAN
Conflict Resolution/Peace Activism

MY HERO Honors Ron Kovic and Mohamed Sidibay who devote their lives to a more peaceful world. 

These heroic individuals have transformed difficulty and suffering into leadership and passion for a better world! Screening these introductory films will take about 8 minutes.

Honoring RON KOVIC (4:23)

Producer: Jeanne Meyers
Ron Kovic is an accomplished author, painter, and activist who has worked for world peace over the last 40 years.

Mohamed Sidibay is a survivor of a horrific civil war in Sierra Leone, where he was forced to fight as a child soldier. Now he advocates for better access to education worldwide.

International Day of Peace - Mohamed Sidibay - Teaching Peace
Credit: MH

Screening these films will take about 37 minutes. The pieces utilize art and music to express strong opposition to the horrors of war. They also feature heroic individuals who have become advocates for conflict resolution and peace after experiencing the tragedy of violence.

Hands Up Don't Shoot (3:17)

Producer: RAP ARTIST:Queen McElrath, DIRECTOR: Aniea Cody, PRODUCER: Todd Young ...
Nashville students, Queen McElrath and team show love and talent for Michael Brown and the people of Ferguson Missouri.

Prayers for Peace (7:20)

Producer: Dustin Grella
A young man seeks peace on behalf of his brother.

A Battle for Peace (2:12)

Producer: Walking the dog / Directed by: Joost Jansen

A soldier goes to the front during World War I, whose horrors make him realize that the enemy is actually war itself. 

Moral Courage: Stopping shootings in Brooklyn before they start (3:06)

Producer: Adam Grannick and Moral Courage TV

Save Our Streets organization works to prevent violence from happening to the youths of Crown Heights.

Post-war Machismo: Be a Man (8:34)

Producer: Liz Mermin

Dragan Kisin became a a community leader and non-violence advocate after joining the Be a Man club in Bosnia and Herzegovina's Banja Luka. 

Us and Us (5:18)

Producer: Righteous Conversations Project
A look at dehumanization through the eyes of a black teen and the history of genocides.

A Declaration of Interdependence (4:18)

Producer: Global participants
Award Winning Director Tiffany Shlain crowd sources her revision of the Declaration of Independence as A Declaration of Interdependence!

The Sunrise Storyteller - Trailer (1:54)

Producer: Marla Slavner
The Sunrise Storyteller follows the hero's journey of teenage filmmaker & social justice advocate, Kasha Sequoia Slavner.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Which of these films touched you the most and why?

2. Who of these heroes do you admire the most and why?

3. How does the art or music in the films impact you as a viewer?

4. What is your favorite genre in this group? Experimental, Music Video, or Documentary and why?

5. Do you know any peace heroes in your community?

6. Are you motivated to be a peacemaker?

Screening this group of films will take about 45 minutes. The themes explore heroism in forgiveness, overcoming obstacles, leadership in the face of wrong doing & communities coming together for peace.

Upstanders: The Mosque Across the Street (5:09)

Producer: Howard Schultz and Rajiv Chandrasekaran
What happens when a mosque moves across the street from a church in the Bible Belt?

Azim Khamisa: The Tool of Forgiveness (7:45)

Producer: The Institute for Advancing Unity/The Working Group
A grieving father overcomes tragedy by creating something beautiful in his son's name - Tariq Khamisa.

Defying Death in South Sudan (7:24)

Producer: Francis Mead
Defying death in South Sudan. Featuring Humanitarian Hero Award Winner Ken Payumo.

Reclaiming Pakistan (8:26)

Producer: Lisa Donato
A civil rights activist, Mohammad Jibran Nasir, sparks a social revolution after almost 140 children were killed in the Peshawar Army School tragedy.

Beyond Right and Wrong - Extended Trailer (5:13)

Producer: Lekha Singh and Rebecca Chaiklin

Beyond Right & Wrong explores how survivors move on from violent conflict and become heroes of peace.

FAMBUL TOK (Family Talk) [Trailer] (2:12)

Producer: Sara Terry
Using the safety of the family circle to heal a nation.

Right To Play [Excerpt] (6:37)

Producer: Frank Marshall
Olympian Johann Olav Koss embarked on a remarkable journey to use sports to improve the lives of African children.

Pray the Devil Back to Hell - excerpt (5:14)

Producer: Abigail Disney (Producer) and Gini Reticker (Director)
This important documentary sheds light on the "Womens Peace Movement of Liberia," and celebrates these unsung heroes. (excerpt)

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Which of these films do you feel was the most personal story?

2. How do you cope with suffering? And have you ever turned a tragedy into an opportunity for activism?

3. Which film was the most impactful to you personally?

4. Do you feel motivated to take action for peace in your own life?

5. Why is forgiveness important for peace?

6. How can we become more tolerant as people?

Ron Kovic Peace Prize in the MY HERO International Film Festival

Ron Kovic Peace Prize Sizzle (2:00)

Producer: Hila Hamidi
Learn all about the Ron Kovic Peace Prize in the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Click here to learn about the Ron Kovic Peace Prize, view previous winners and submit your peace film!

Submit your film for the RON KOVIC PEACE PRIZE
Credit: IMAGE: Occupy LA Rally

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

How to use MY HERO's Create Program to Publish Stories, Art, Film and Audio for Students

Tutorial for students: Publish written stories, film, original artwork and audio in MY HERO's multimedia library.

Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Teachers' Calendar

Organizer created on 3/17/2020 4:31:49 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 8/8/2023 12:01:50 PM by Laura Nietzer