Grace Brewster Murray Hopper

by Bobby from USA

There are many heroes in the world and history, Martin Luther King, Jr., your mom, my mom, but above all my hero is a genius, a computer wiz, and a Rear Admiral. Her name is Grace B. Hopper. On December 9, 1906, in New York City, a baby was born. Her name was little Grace Hopper. For many years she went to the countries of USA, Scotland, Wales, England, and France. In her 86 years of life she once said, “If you do something once, people will call it an accident. If you do it twice, they call it a coincidence. But do it a third time and you’ve just proven a natural law.” Eighty six years later on January 1, 1992, this great woman had a heart attack .

Miss Hopper had a brilliant mind ever since she was young. She went to Vassar College at the age of 18. She then went to Yale University in 1928 when she graduated. Six years later, she earned a PHD in Mathematics. She also was given thirty seven doctorates in her life. That is just her education, one of the things she has been blessed with.

She was given many awards in her lifetime. In 1968, she was given Science Man of the Year. Twenty-three years later, she was given the National Medal of the year. A great Navy ship was named in her honor. And her final award was that she gained a Legion of Merit in 1973.

In addition to education and awards, she was also an inventor. In 1943 she joined W.A.V.E.S. {Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service} to work for her national rights. When she was a Lieutenant, she developed the A-O system, which can decode variables in math. In 1951 she developed a business language called C.O.B.O.L. But in my book, her greatest invention was the calculator.

Ms. Hopper isn’t just an inspiration to me; she is also an inspiration to the Navy. Shortly after she joined W.A.V.E.S. she became a Lieutenant. In 1973, Grace was promoted to the rank of Captain. Twelve years later, she finally reached the highest of all, she reached a Rear Admiral! So she went from a little Lieutenant to a Rear Admiral in 41 years.

Ms. Hopper isn’t just a programmer, a computer wiz , and a math expert, she is also a great teacher . She started tutoring children in schools, she than gave lectures to students all around the world! When she wasn’t working at W. A. V, E. S., she tutored students in schools. One more thing she can add to her list of great accomplishments.

Ms. Hopper was an intelligent woman, a great person in history. She did great things in her life time during W. A. V.E. S. She did great things for students in schools.

This is one of the greatest women in history and in my heart. She gives me inspiration to go beyond my limit. She also taught me you can do much more than just one goal in your life. She made it a lot easier to do math at home, and to find answers on a computer. I’m personally someone who wants to do good, and also get a great education. I, as well, want to make many great things to help the world, and when I die I want to leave my mark, just like my hero, Grace Hopper.