Lester B. Pearson

by Dylan from Calgary

This is a web I made of my hero Lester B. Pearson (I made it!)

Lester was born in Toronto, Ontario on April 23, 1897. His full name was Lester Bowles Pearson, but his nickname was Mike. His only brother’s name was Duke, his mother’s name was Mary and his dad’s name was Edwin. His dad was a Methodist Minister. He grew up in Toronto, Ontario, and later, he went to the University of Toronto, and was both a good student and athlete. He was very good at history and sociology. He joined the Oxford hockey team, and was noted as the “Athlete of the Year”. He graduated in 1919, and later attended Oxford University in London getting another degree. He took flying lessons in England and the first time he tried, he crashed the plane. He always wanted to be a professional hockey player, however, he instead taught history at the University of Toronto. He also coached both football and hockey.

This is a portrait I made of my hero Lester B. Pe (I made it!)

After teaching at the University, he started working in the government as a diplomat, and then became the leader of the Liberal party, then became the Prime Minister of Canada from April 22, 1963 to April 20, 1968. Lester’s life was remarkable because he led a lot of very positive change in the world and Canada. He was known as the most athletic Prime Minister of Canada. Some of the sports he played were baseball, lacrosse, golf and tennis. I think that being hard working, brave, smart, caring, honest, kind and courageous, made him a good leader. I think that being a very good leader was his most important trait. I think the 3 lessons you could learn from him are that you can do anything, become anything, and to always do your best! Some people say that you can judge the quality of a person's life by the enemies that they make. In Lester B. Pearson’s case, I think this is true. Being a successful Prime Minister, his opposition would have been upset with his success. Growing up, Lester had a strong role model with one of his hockey coaches, and they were very good friends. They kept in contact throughout his whole life. Lester always followed the rule that you should never give up and whenever you do anything, do it the best you can!

This is
This is

I think that to be a hero you need to be caring, smart and set a good example for others. I think that Lester was a hero because he created the idea of a peacemaker (If you did not know what a peacemaker is, they try to reason with the people fighting to stop.), the United Nations, universal health care, the Canada Pension Plan, Canada Student Loans, and established a new national flag, the Maple Leaf. His efforts probably helped stop a lot of wars around the world, and increased the standard of life for many Canadians. Lester B Pearson was well known, but he was a hero because he was brave, compassionate and set a good example for others. He never actually wanted to become famous, but he just did! Pearson worked at Carleton University in Ottawa until his death of liver cancer in 1972. He was 75 years old. Lester B. Pearson’s only son, Geoffrey Pearson died March 18, 2008. Lester B. Pearson was voted the best Prime Minister in Canada, he won the Nobel peace prize, he received Honorary Degrees from 48 Universities, and he was chosen as the most athletic student in university. I chose Lester B. Pearson as my hero because he invented the idea of soldiers being peacekeepers and helped bring a lot of peace in the world, and saved many lives. I learned from Lester B. Pearson, that you should never ever give up and you can become whatever you want to be, if you work hard enough!!!

Here is a statue of him on Parlament Hill (http://sandwalk.blogspot.com/2008/05/lester-b-pearson.htm)

Lester B. Pearson thought that in 1965 Canada needed a new flag! He thought Canada should be unique other than having the same of Great Brittan. There were 5900 designs, and they had forty-one meetings to chose! The final choice was the flag we have now! Lester B. Pearson was Prime Minister of Canada from April 22, 1963 to April 20, 1968. When he retired it was December 14, 1967. He was buried in 1972 in Wakefield, Québec. The cemetery name was Maclaren Cemetery. It is a small, but beautiful place. Many people all over Canada think that Lester B. Pearson was their best Prime Minister they have ever had.

wikipedia.org - Here is a link with a lot of good info.
Nobel Peace Prize .com - This is about his Nobel Peace prize
Primeministers.com - This is about when he was Prime minister
Victoria University.com - This is when he went to university
CBC.ca - Greatest Canadian !!!

"I am grateful for the opportunities I have been given to participate in that work as a representative of my country, Canada, whose people have, I think, shown their devotion to peace."