Douglas Richard Flutie

by Dave from Port Coquitlam

Doug Flutie is my hero because he went against all the odds and became one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. He is also my hero because he started the Doug Flutie Jr. Foundation for autism. The reason he started this is because his son Doug Jr. developed autism soon after birth.

To help raise money for the Doug Flutie Jr. Foundation, Doug signed a contract with PLB Sports to distribute a breakfast cereal called "Flutie Flakes." Flutie’s cereal has helped raise over $1.5 million since April of 1998 for autism. He also does advertisements for "10-10-220" (a long distance phone company) to raise money for this charity. Doug also plays drums for a band called "The Flutie Gang" and profits from the latest CD will go towards the foundation. For more information on the Doug Flutie Jr. Foundation, go to www.dougflutie.org.

Doug went to Boston as the fourth string quarterback in his freshman year. His coach thought about putting him at the wide receiver position because he wanted Doug to play. Doug got his chance against the Nittany Lions. BC was losing 38-0 in the fourth quarter. Doug’s coach Jack Bicknell looked at him and said "Flutie! Get in there and see what you can do." He didn’t generate a miracle comeback, but he did throw for 135 yards and a touchdown. Three years later, Doug won the 1984 Heisman Trophy as the US’s top collegiate football player.

His pro football career started with the New Jersey Generals of the USFL in 1985. He played one season there before signing with the Chicago Bears of the NFL. He played two seasons in Chicago before moving on to the New England Patriots. He played three seasons in New England. Doug wasn’t invited back to training camp the following year, but Doug didn’t give up. He signed a contract with the BC Lions of the CFL. He played two seasons with the Lions before signing with the Calgary Stampeders where he won his first Grey Cup (the CFL’s Super Bowl). He played in Calgary from 1992-1995. Doug then signed with the Toronto Argonauts. He played two seasons there, and led his team to two Grey Cups. The NFL scouts heard about what Doug had done. The Buffalo Bills signed Doug on January 20, 1998. Doug was the back-up until starter Rob Johnson got injured. Doug led the Bills to the playoffs, but they were eliminated in the first game.

"I believe in myself. If I listened to what people say about me, I would have given up long ago," said Doug. That, along with his charity work, is why he is my hero.