Ryan Hreljac

by Trevor from Centennial

Ryan Hreljac is my hero because of what he does to help people in Africa and other countries that don't have clean water. I hope to grow up to be like him. He is a great person. If I ever get enough money I will donate some to him.

Ever since hearing about the horror of having dirty water and people dying from it, Ryan started raising money to make a clean water well, but when he took the 70 dollars he thought would make a well he was wrong. It really was 2,000 dollars but unlike most children Ryan did not give up. He raised that money from doing household chores, and a kind neighbor donated some air miles to the family for tickets to Africa. Ryan was greeted like a hero and when the village children took him to the well, engraved on the side of the well were the words "Ryan's Well."

Ryan lives in Canada with his three brothers, Jordan, newly adopted Jimmy, and little brother Keegan. Ryan has traveled to North America, Africa and back to Canada. He and many other people have raised over $80,000. Some of the most helpful nonprofit companies are WATERCAN, CIDA, CPAR, and Free the Children.

Ryan was mentioned in T.A. Barron's book, The Hero's Trail. He is a hero to others near and far. He fits this title perfectly. Ryan is a hero to people far by making clean-water wells in needy countries. He is a hero to people near, by making such a good impression on everyone who hears about what he does.

Ryan is one of the most inspiring heroes there ever was or will be. He is a great person and I hope to be just like him. I chose Ryan as my hero because of what he does for complete strangers that he may not even meet. I hope he can inspire everyone to do the same.